An opportunity has risen to replace my single speed pump with a VS pump for free. But..

nabril15

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 22, 2011
Miami, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Hello all
I am studying the possibility of installing solar panels for my whole home use, and the vendor has agreed to replace my existing pump for free. Yes, free, supposedly, though I'm sure that I'll pay for it somehow.

He sent me the link for it, and it a Xtremepowerusa 1.5hp pump at 220v. Sure, it looks nice or like any pump actually. And if it will be free, I shouldn't be picky. I've read some reviews, and they are not favorable; it also costs half of the price of a Hayward or Pentair.

The link for it:

Is anyone familiar with this brand?

I'm contemplating offering the salesman these 2 options:
1) Give me that money, and I'll pay the other half to install a Hayward or Pentair or better brand.
2) Give me that money to buy a VS motor from inyo which would accomplish what we want, and I would not have to do all that plumbing work when replacing a whole pump. Replacing the motor is obviously much easier and quicker than replacing the whole pump.
Thank you

Last edited:
I like both options :) Just ask him what he wants as you do not want that one....
what do you mean by "what he wants"? He wants me to buy the panels; that's what he wants.

Regardless of the route to be taken, should I stay with a 1.5hp pump? I have a rarely-used spa bench with 4 jets, and a water feature with 3 outputs. Can I get a 1hp pump, for example?

what option he wants :) 1 or 2 but only 1 or 2...

I went with the 1.67 HP V green and so far love it... Most will say go with the big daddy 2.7 as you can still turn it down but if you need that much flow you have it.... The new Pentair VSF you can set the flow and it will change the speed to keep it... Nice if you have a SWG or heater that needs a certain amount of water...

Really it is up to you what you want :)

Reactions: nabril15
I own one - lower end, sure. Have I loved every second of owning it, YES! I was up against replacing a motor or the whole pump. Owned a name brand that didn't make it 3 years... I ended up going with the dual speed, manual switch, because I just don't think electronics around a pool makes any sense - especially salt water pools. It was so cheap, I wouldn't hesitate to get another if it lasts as long as the one I paid 3x as much for and lasted a short period of time (IMHO). Now, hooking up the variable component (electronics), I'd say no. But I do love my Xtremepower dual speed!

Reactions: nabril15
I own one - lower end, sure. Have I loved every second of owning it, YES! I was up against replacing a motor or the whole pump.
Here is my experience with them - could be a fluke - I would recommend reading as many reviews as you can find.

Hayward pump union threads same as Extreme power?

Thanks guys. I only found reviews in Amazon for it, and the majority weren't favorable with similar experiences to that of Herb.
The sales manager agreed to buy the V-green replacement motor, and that way I don't have to cut my very limited piping to accommodate a new pump. He agreed too quickly and easily, so perhaps I should have also asked for the robot that @mknauss suggested!!

A side question. When I bought the house, the pool was obviously already here. The suction pipe into the pump has a 45 degree elbow that rises to meet the pump inlet. Could there have been a reason for that rise, other than to accommodate plumbing or location of the pump? I've always thought that replacing it with a straight pipe would be better for overall circulation and suction.

Reactions: cowboycasey
This is what I meant., and it's not quite 45 degrees

Attachments

• 16002885104205796833778097736287.jpg
    16002885104205796833778097736287.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 20
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.