Am I using too much chlorine?

Poiks

Bronze Supporter
Jun 22, 2019
McKinney, TX
Hi all,
I've asked this once before, but although I thought I figured out the issue, I'm still using what seems like an awful lot of chlorine. I'm averaging 46 oz of Hasachlor 12.5% chlorinator per day over the last ten days. The builder estimated pool volume as 14,200 gallons; it's gunite with a pebbletec finish, and is a year old.
  • My combined chlorine reading is zero.
  • A few days ago I thought maybe my CYA was too low, so I raised it significantly and it is now at 60, but still needs about 44oz of Hasachlor daily.
  • My pool is in direct, north-Texas sun for probably 12 hours/day
  • I have never seen algae in the pool and I check the chlorine daily
  • I keep pH around 7.6 to 7.7
  • We have no trees around or other obvious sources of organic matter (then again, I assume the cc of zero rules out organic matter being the issue anyway?)
I don't mind the cost of the chlorine so much--I just want to make sure nothing else is going on that I'm missing.

The only other thing I can think of right now is that maybe the Hasachlor is substandard.

Thanks for any advice.

Oh--great! I didn't start managing the pool myself until late summer last year, and at that time the consumption was lower. Thanks for the info, Marty--much appreciated.
You bet. In the next few weeks, the amount of chlorine needed each day will start to fall. It will really fall off during September.

Reactions: papadoppa
I used almost exactly the same amount as you for my same sized or thereabouts pool in September /October last year.. In August with our 110 degree weather we have had, I had to turn up the SWCG a bit, but I figured I would be using closer to 64 oz now. You are in the ballpark for sure. And it will start dropping off now that the days are getting shorter.

Reactions: Poiks
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.