Am I using too much chlorine?

Poiks

Jun 22, 2019
McKinney, TX
Hi all,
I've asked this once before, but although I thought I figured out the issue, I'm still using what seems like an awful lot of chlorine. I'm averaging 46 oz of Hasachlor 12.5% chlorinator per day over the last ten days. The builder estimated pool volume as 14,200 gallons; it's gunite with a pebbletec finish, and is a year old.
  • My combined chlorine reading is zero.
  • A few days ago I thought maybe my CYA was too low, so I raised it significantly and it is now at 60, but still needs about 44oz of Hasachlor daily.
  • My pool is in direct, north-Texas sun for probably 12 hours/day
  • I have never seen algae in the pool and I check the chlorine daily
  • I keep pH around 7.6 to 7.7
  • We have no trees around or other obvious sources of organic matter (then again, I assume the cc of zero rules out organic matter being the issue anyway?)
I don't mind the cost of the chlorine so much--I just want to make sure nothing else is going on that I'm missing.

The only other thing I can think of right now is that maybe the Hasachlor is substandard.

Thanks for any advice.

Poiks

Jun 22, 2019
McKinney, TX
Oh--great! I didn't start managing the pool myself until late summer last year, and at that time the consumption was lower. Thanks for the info, Marty--much appreciated.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Oh--great! I didn't start managing the pool myself until late summer last year, and at that time the consumption was lower. Thanks for the info, Marty--much appreciated.
You bet. In the next few weeks, the amount of chlorine needed each day will start to fall. It will really fall off during September.

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
Count yourself lucky with that loss consdering the temps we've had lately. Down to 65 tonite they say. Go figure.

Rattus Suffocatus

Silver Supporter
Jun 5, 2019
Corona de Tucson, AZ
I used almost exactly the same amount as you for my same sized or thereabouts pool in September /October last year.. In August with our 110 degree weather we have had, I had to turn up the SWCG a bit, but I figured I would be using closer to 64 oz now. You are in the ballpark for sure. And it will start dropping off now that the days are getting shorter.

Reactions: Poiks