Am I ready to proceed with the wall installation?

27ftAGPnPA

Jun 23, 2020
Sanatoga, PA
I have absolutely no experience installing AGPs. So, when my wife suggested it, I accepted the challenge to install a standard 27' round AGP. The bottom rail and upright base are plastic. The uprights and wall are steel. I think I'm ready to install the wall, but I'd like to check with you all before proceeding.

I used a BobCat skid steer and a water level to level the ground to 2-1/2" between the low and high points. I measured and marked the wall location and then laid the bottom rails and upright bases to locate 8x16 pavers that will support the uprights. The level of the installed pavers measures 1/4" between the low and high. Lastly, I used a cutter mattock to level the ground between the pavers. Because the low paver (the first one installed) measures 1/2" below the adjacent ground floor the pavers and the ground between them form a kind of track where the pool wall will be. I plan to level the ground on the outside of the wall to provide the full wall height (52") from grade. This should enable me to avoid questions about a fence.

I've got 3-1/2 yards of sand ready to spread. With a wall diameter of 26'-10" that amounts to a 2" layer of sand.

I took several measurements of the ground floor and found the high point (+ 2-1/2") is one small area (~ 15 SQFT). Because most of the remaining area is level to within +/- 3/4", I figure, after spreading the sand, the high area will be covered by 1/2" of sand.

The attached photos show the bottom rail and upright bases and its "track"; pavers and the location of the bottom rails.

Am I ready to proceed with the wall installation?

Attachments

• 7s_20200806.jpg
    7s_20200806.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 8s_20200817.jpg
    8s_20200817.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • 9s_20200817.jpg
    9s_20200817.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
Sorry I did not see this sooner. The pavers need to be flush with the ground and all need to be level within 1". You cannot use sand to build up to level the pool, you must dig down to firm ground and leveled to the lowest point. So if you have pavers that sit 2" above the lowest paver, the higher pavers need to be dug down to level. The ground between the pavers should also be level. Once the pool is up and filled, unlevel ground can cause creases in the pool wall, or cause the bottom rail to break or bend. Both conditions compromise the structural integrity of the pool.

Thanks for the feedback zea3. The tops of the pavers and the ground between the pavers are all level within 1/4". But the ground outside the pavers is not level. And the ground inside the pavers is level to within 2-1/2". I did my best to spread the 3-1/2 CUYDS of sand to a good level. But after the water delivery today I see I have a difference in water depth of about an inch.
The wall went up Saturday without a hitch. We had a 1" gap at the seam. It took us all a few minutes to close it. On Sunday the sand was spread and tamped down. The floor pad was installed by folding excess material underneath. Foam coves were installed and then the liner. The water was installed today.
It was an adventure. But the work continues. The electrical service gets installed next Tuesday by a professional electrician.pool wall.jpgfilled pool.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.