Am I done shocking or should I continue?

evalm2010

Jun 21, 2010
Washington, DC
Hi. My background is here and here. I have now realized I have a filter problem which is probably why my water is still very cloudy. It looks clean but oh well until that filter is replaced there is nothing I can do about it. Here's the latest test results:

FC: 10
CC: .5
TA: 100
PH: 7.4
CH: 580 :(
CYA: <20

I lose about 1 or <1 ppm FC overnight and around 1 ppm during the day. CC has remained .5. This is the pool set up.

Skylights right above the pool. While it does not get direct sunlight all day it does get light from noon to maybe 3 pm. Unfortunately, the skylights can't be opened.

EDIT: Here's a picture of the skylight:

My question is (and please keep in mind that I have an indoor pool) I have been shocking for about a month now. Am I done shocking and just accept the fact that the water will continue to be cloudy until something is done with my filter? Can I swim? I am aware of the safety issue with swimming in cloudy water.

Thoughts? Thanks again. :-D

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
Just to clarify -- you have an FC of 10 and zero CYA due to being an indoor pool?

evalm2010

Jun 21, 2010
Washington, DC
Oops I forgot the CYA, it is <20. So yes my CYA is low because it's an indoor pool. So I'm debating if I can go ahead and let the FC fall below the shock level. :)

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
Yes, you are done shocking. The criteria are: FC loss of 1.0 or lower overnight, CC at 0.5 or lower, no visible algae.

evalm2010

Jun 21, 2010
Washington, DC
Yey! :whoot: Thank you Jason, I think I'm going swimming tonight. :party: Oh I have another question. Do you think I should lower my ph from 7.4 to 7.2 and my TA from 100 to maybe 90 with my CH being so high (580)? Thanks again. :-D

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
Your PH is alright where it is now. I would keep the PH between 7.2 and 7.5 for now, and longer term work on lowering the TA level a little.

Other Threads of Interest