Am I crazy?

mccool83

Well-known member
Aug 4, 2015
47
LAWRENCEBURG, IN
So, I started my opening yesterday of an expected green pool. I had to close my pool earlier than I wanted to last year due to having back surgery at the end of September, so I expected it to be a mess.
So I got everything started up and circulating, vacuumed to waste and shocked it last night with 3 gallons of 10%. I didn't have a chance to test the chlorine that night.
Pool looked better today, backwashed and brushed and gave it another 3 gallons. Did a quick chlorine test before I shocked and showed between 2-3. Added the 3 gallons and checked the chlorine 15 minutes later, no change.
Checked the chlorine 3 hours later, no change. Am I getting a false reading or did I have bad chlorine? Bottle date was 4-3-17.
 

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
20,403
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
I'd be curious to know what the CYA level is. And the CC level. What you're describing could be either some small-scale algae attack or the CYA broke down into ammonia over the winter. No way to know without test results.
 

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
41,195
Tucson, AZ
Were you testing the CC too?
What is your CYA? If that dropped to 0, could be another case of ammonia which will consume the FC very fast and show high CC levels.
 

pooldv

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2012
25,162
FL panhandle
Either something is using up the chlorine quickly or the test is bad. Either way, more bleach and once you can get FC to hold at 10 ppm then retest your CYA and start a SLAM.
 

mccool83

Well-known member
Aug 4, 2015
47
LAWRENCEBURG, IN
I'm completely out of the CYA test, so I'm waiting on those refills. I also found it weird that before I did the shock this evening, my PH showed 8.2 or above on the drop test. After I added the chlorine and tested again, the PH showed around 7.2.

- - - Updated - - -

CC was around 2 when I tested
 

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
41,195
Tucson, AZ
That does not make any sense. High FC level would make the pH test read artificially high.
 

Other Threads of Interest