Am I being to fussy?

Limey

Jul 14, 2011
Central Florida
Last week we had our concrete pool deck fitted with flagstone pavers. We opted for the slate look 3 piece random Heritage pavers.

My concerns are some pavers are either slightly too high and some too low. Pics attached .

I already had the installer reset a few pavers .

afde6c73c8c03ed68e0aae92ccdc4fc1.jpg
7f99b8199c6f23e68c271f7fd85181af.jpg
ec58cd1d28509db318afec18042ff4ec.jpg

There are industry standards (depending on where you live), that determine acceptable workmanship. For example, when setting tile, their height can vary only by x amount. I think it's the thickness of a dime or something like that. There will likely be some sort of similar dimension for pavers, though, sorry, I'm not sure what the resource is for such things. Someone else here might know. Is there a building inspector involved in your project? Or maybe google "acceptable paver installation specs" or something like that.

If the industry standards exist for pavers, then that will be your guide in approaching the installer about this issue...

That said, pavers won't be perfect, and even if you get them that way somehow, they can move over time. An alternate solution is to have the guy fix a few more, watch and learn, and fix them yourself, now, and when they go out again sometime in the future. That way, they can always be as perfect as you need them to be, regardless of standards.

If it is real flagstone and they are not gauged for thickness (All back grounded to the exact same thickness) , yes you are being picky. If they vary in thickness, there is no one on earth that will get them flat (not without charging you Huge amounts of $$$) nore were they meant to be.

We had our pavers laid last week too and my critical side took over. We had three areas that bugged me. Two issues were lippage like you’re seeing and a third was a cut paver that I don’t think was cut quite straight, meaning the grout line between that tile and the next tapered. I immediately brought it up to the pb who came out the next day to check. I did feel like he was going to brush me off when I initially mentioned it, but they fixed the areas I brought to his attention. The lippage near the skimmer box took a couple of goes to fix. There is possibly still once paver with ever so slight lippage, but my husband doesn’t see it and I don’t either on all angles. I don’t think you are being too fussy. I would definitely bring up your concerns. There will be acceptable standards but hopefully your pb will do the right thing and fix it regardless. If you have little ones it can be a trip hazard so mention that.

If you have little ones it can be a trip hazard so mention that.

I think that's the primary reason the standards exist. And there might be building codes for that, too, again, depending on where you live. Same reason stair treads must be at the same exact height, because a person can get tripped up walking up stairs that are even slightly off (1/4" or something like that, I forget, but it's very little)...

If it is real flagstone and they are not gauged for thickness (All back grounded to the exact same thickness) , yes you are being picky. If they vary in thickness, there is no one on earth that will get them flat (not without charging you Huge amounts of $$$) nore were they meant to be.

The pictures looked like concrete pavers rather than flagstone to me, so I was confused. Then a google search for "3 piece random heritage pavers" tells me that they're concrete pavers made by a company called "Flagstone Pavers".

Talk about a confusing business name...

Last week we had our concrete pool deck fitted with flagstone pavers. We opted for the slate look 3 piece random Heritage pavers.

My concerns are some pavers are either slightly too high and some too low. Pics attached .

I’m of the mindset that it never hurts to ask. Worst case they say no, best case they fix it!

That is a poor job by an inexperienced stone mason or tile setter.
It will get worse over time as ground settles under them.
If u havent paid them yet......dont until it meets your acceptance

As I mentioned, a building inspector on site, or locate the code that governs the installation of tile and stone in your area, if there is one, and refer to that. Your local planning dept might be able to help with that, over the counter, if you have one. Or there are experts for hire that specialize in examining such things and to "testify" if something is or is not "up to snuff." All depending on what city/county/state/country you live in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can’t tell from photos.. but they do look like they have beveled edges & this may be the nature of the product.

This isn’t a job for a building official.

If it it is truely a poor job, start at the products source.

A product manufacturer’s representative can provide best practice & installation tolerance standards. & the feedback will be free.

The pictures looked like concrete pavers rather than flagstone to me, so I was confused. Then a google search for "3 piece random heritage pavers" tells me that they're concrete pavers made by a company called "Flagstone Pavers".

Talk about a confusing business name...

Ya. that's why I made the comment about being gauged for thickness. I thought they were a natural product.

When the tilers found out I had complained to pb they said to me that they weren’t going to leave them like that, that they grind down any trouble areas [emoji849] my thoughts were why do a bad job you have to then go ahead and rectify. Anyway, maybe grinding might be an option for yours. I’m not sure how they ended up fixing mine as I wasn’t here. But they are good now, which is all I care about.

Know virtually nothing about tile/stone setting... So I'll ask...

If there's a concrete base, wouldn't you want to thin-set 'em, perfectly level and permanent?

If there's a concrete based, wouldn't you want to thin-set 'em, perfectly level and permanent?

in Canada and probably other cold climates, when this is done and done to last, they use mortor. Same principal as thin set I suspect. Easier to level than sand but can't expect every tile to be perfect. Personally if the odd one is +/- 1/8", I'd find that reasonable. 3/16 or 1/4" is approaching too much for me.

If there's a concrete based, wouldn't you want to thin-set 'em, perfectly level and permanent?

my buddy only will set pavers on a pour. He doesn’t thin set them ever. Sand as needed to level but rarely needs to use it much. He sets perimeter permanent to lock everything in.

thats how my build is also. We overpoured all our patios also where there r retaining walls so we can set those on a pour also. The overpour is thicker than the rest of the pour where pavers sit. Makes it nice an easy. He sets all pitch when he does the pours. For drains or runoff.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.