Always fighting a rising PH level

Nov 16, 2018
St. Petersburg, FL
Pool Size
I have a 10K gallon saltwater pool. New build completed around Thanksgiving. I am always fighting a rising PH level. I test every 3 days and it's always creeping towards 8. I add about 16 oz of Muriatic Acid every time I test and it's good for a day or two... but by day 3... back up to 8. Weirdly, nothing else tests out of whack. Chlorine fluctuates between 3 and 5... depending up on how much I adjust the Chlorinator (currently at 35%). Alkalinity always tests between 50 and 100. Last week was first time I've had to add Alkalinity Up (5 lbs). Now it's at 80. Side note, not sure why I just didn't use Baking Soda. Cyanuric Acid is always 50-70. Salt level is 4000. About 6 weeks ago, if had fallen to about 3200... so I added 50 lbs of salt. Only time salt has been added since the pool was completed and initial water treatments were done. Since then... it's been hovering around 4000. I'm in FL and with the heat... and running fountains and bubblers... I am adding about an hour of water a week. Any thoughts on why the PH is always spiking? If Chlorine was inordinately high... or if I was adding Alkalinity regularly... I would understand. But that's not the case.

In addition New plaster curing will cause ph rising for the first X months of plaster.

My pool is two months old and i have to add acid almost daily. I was told to expect to fight ph for the first 6-12 months just from the curing effect, all else equal.

Yeah new plaster will raise PH and high TA will make pH go higher while a low TA will buffer the rise. (your TA if between 60-100 is generally good). Aeration from water features will make your pH go higher when they're in use, depending on your usage (amount of time) of those water features. I need to add 2 gallons of MA -every- week (through a MA doser) to combat my pH rise from a ton of water features, plus a newly replastered pool. Fun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.