Almost August - Pool Still Unusable

I’ve been trying to get our pool together despite a fractured knee. It’s just me and my 11 year olds. I had someone open and clean it. I’m not sure how good of a job they did. I was hospitalized and the pool sat there, accumulating pollen, leaves. It’s a mess, I’ve vacuumed a lot up with an automatic vacuum. I test by having someone come get it and test it at their store. It’s PH up, then PH down. Add this that and the other. Then I had no stabilizer and was told to put an entire bottle in (instructions were in writing). I did, tested myself with my TFP tester, CYN was 200! From reading here it means drain (at least half) and refill. To kill two birds with one stone, I was trying to vacuum (to waste) get the dirt and water, but having problems getting it vacuumed. Hose won’t work as I have to vacuum up hill. We tried the hold it and throw over the pool to get it started until the ground was so wet, my crutches were sinking.

Can you connect the vacuum hose to the skimmer on the pump and vacuum to waste with water below skimmer)? If so, how?
Can you drain a pool using your pump?

What other recommendations?

PH 7.0. Chlorine null (law doesn’t allow disposal of chlorinated pool water on the ground).

I planned on switching to chlorine and the TFP method as soon as I am more mobile. Thank You!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You look to have a sand filter. As such, it should have a multiport valve with a waste setting correct? If so, then you should be able to vacuum and the water/waste will go straight out to waste (lawn). Now if you have no main drain, the vacuum will stop when water drops to the bottom of the skimmer. In that case, you can either siphon water with a hose or several hoses and let gravity remove more water to lower your CYA, or rent a submersible pump from one of the large hardware stores. They often provide hoses as well to help make it go quicker. Remember to not completely empty the pool. It must have some water in it to remain stable (bottom and sides) - about 18 inches or so at least.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You look to have a sand filter. As such, it should have a multiport valve with a waste setting correct? If so, then you should be able to vacuum and the water/waste will go straight out to waste (lawn). Now if you have no main drain, the vacuum will stop when water drops to the bottom of the skimmer. In that case, you can either siphon water with a hose or several hoses and let gravity remove more water to lower your CYA, or rent a submersible pump from one of the large hardware stores. They often provide hoses as well to help make it go quicker. Remember to not completely empty the pool. It must have some water in it to remain stable (bottom and sides) - about 18 inches or so at least.
Excellent! Thank you! My kids dad took care of everything, but had to move away for work and I don’t want to bother him. I recall him saying something about uphill, so I will get a submersible pump. I appreciate the advice about not emptying it all.

Add a picture of your current pool water so we can see what you are dealing with visually. I would also find some jobs for your 11-year-old to do to help you out given your personal situation right now. I don't let my 5-year-old touch any chemicals but he has fun brushing the steps and emptying the skimmer basket and Polaris bag. Your kids should be old enough to help vacuum and brush. You may even be comfortable with them doing simple drop tests for chemical levels. They will be motivated to help get it cleaned up so they can use it.

Reactions: Lisamilhouse
Add a picture of your current pool water so we can see what you are dealing with visually. I would also find some jobs for your 11-year-old to do to help you out given your personal situation right now. I don't let my 5-year-old touch any chemicals but he has fun brushing the steps and emptying the skimmer basket and Polaris bag. Your kids should be old enough to help vacuum and brush. You may even be comfortable with them doing simple drop tests for chemical levels. They will be motivated to help get it cleaned up so they can use it.
Here is the pic. I am embarrassed to send it. Is that clotted green stuff algae or pollen?

I posted the pic. I am embarrassed to send it. Is that clotted green stuff algae or pollen?

My son will brush and vacuum (using Dolphin). The stuff on the top happened after I decided to drain and had to get out the chlorine. I’m getting two day Amazon shipments, because I can’t go out to get anything. Now, I have until Wednesday before my sub pump arrives.

You appear to have a good algae-stew brewing there. Just keep pscooping, sweeping, and brushing. Once you exchange some water and know the CYA is somewhere between 30-50, you can begin the SLAM Process to really clear the water. Lowering the CYA first is key.

You appear to have a good algae-stew brewing there. Just keep pscooping, sweeping, and brushing. Once you exchange some water and know the CYA is somewhere between 30-50, you can begin the SLAM Process to really clear the water. Lowering the CYA first is key.
Can she just drain the whole thing since it is above ground pool? Seems like the easiest at this point to then clean out most of the remaining gook by hand. Fill water shouldn't be green and it will take a lot of water exchanging to get CYA down from 200 to 30-50.

Can she just drain the whole thing since it is above ground pool? Seems like the easiest at this point to then clean out most of the remaining gook by hand. Fill water shouldn't be green and it will take a lot of water exchanging to get CYA down from 200 to 30-50.
That is correct. That was mentioned above in post #2 - using a submersible pump or gravity drain (siphon). Owner discretion and equipment availability on this one. Again though, never drain 100%. Keep some water in the pool to hold the liner and base in-place.

Thanks! I was thinking maybe pollen. We had blue water a couple of weeks ago, with low chlorine and no stabilizer. That stabilizer did us in. Every time, the pool was tested, I was buying at least $50 worth of product. I’ll drain (not all the way), but how do I get the leftover nastiness out? Just shock or use my auto pool vacuum (I bought a filter that says it removes pollen).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
but how do I get the leftover nastiness out?
At some point you'll go as low as you can, refill, and have to perform the SLAM Process for the residual mess that was at the very bottom that could not be removed or was stuck in the plumbing/filter. That's okay. The new water and fresh chemicals should help make for a more efficient SLAM Process.

Ghesh. If I were closer I would come help you get this cleaned. I'm no stranger to weight bearing injuries and my pool turned to a swamp last year because I had some hardware installed in my foot. Put the kids to work. Give them dust pans and let them carefully scoop out any debris once you drain and then refill the pool. Teach them pool school and let them help you. They are old enough to do this carefully and safely. You can sit outside and supervise them.

Awww thanks! I wish you were closer as well! We drained the pool (not all the way) and now the kids are scooping out the debris. I want to just jump in there and get it done, but re-injury might cause me to have to get metal in the knee and I’m trying to avoid that. I hope your foot is all better and not giving you problems!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.