Hudson, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-20
Second year pool owner. Today tested all my chemicals with Taylor test kit. Alkalinity is 140 with a saltwater pool. PH 7.5, salt 3800, chlorine 4, CYA 60, calcium 400 ( we have a well in upstate NY). After logging in poolmath and reading the articles on water chemistry, I am still confused as to how much to add of muriatic acid! It doesn’t state it. I need to lower the alkalinity, can somebody please shed some light on this? Yesterday my Circapool saltwater generator was all lit up with red lights, due to calcium build up. I had to clean the plates out with muriatic acid. It’s working now. Thanks.

Lowering TA should reduce scaling in the cell. Lowering TA is not something that happens overnight. Each time you add acid to reduce pH, TA drops a little. Pool Math "Effects of Adding Chemicals" will tell you how much. You can accelerate the frequency of acid additions by forcing pH up through aeration. Allow pH to rise to [7.6], then add acid to reduce to 7.2. This cycle should result in a reduced TA over time. If you have high TA fill water, the process might take longer. Read:

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.