Southern Ontario Canada.
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
What are causes of alkalinity dropping? I’ve noticed the past week it has been going down a bit. My ph is also going up, I assume b/c of this. We’ve had no rain where I live for at least a week. The only thing that has changed is that we are now using a solar blanket every night and most of the early morning. Also, there’s lots of leaves now falling into the pool. It’s a SWG about 15,000 gallons. Should I add some baking soda to bring alkalinity back up a bit? I’m only using test strips for the time being so I can’t get a really precise reading but looks like just at about 80. It’s a new pool and I’m learning as I go. Thanks.

Alkalinity will go down by adding acid. Or removing water and replacing with lower TA water.

Just putting a cover on the pool will not reduce TA. You need to use a proper test kit to measure your pool water chemistry.

Recommended Levels

Toad,

What are you adding to keep your pH in check? What value are you trying to keep your pH?

Thanks,

Jim R.
I haven’t added anything yet. I don’t have a value of pH that I am aiming for exactly. I’ve only had the pool for a few weeks and I’ve just been trying to keep the numbers within the “ok” ranges on the back of the test strip bottle. So far it’s been between 7.2 and 7.8 but it’s been looking a tad higher the past couple of days according to the colours on the bottle. Every pool place where I am is sold out of water test kits. I checked Amazon for a Taylor 2006 but I am in Canada and there’s no reliable sellers that I can find. I only have another week of swimming here anyway before closing time. Thanks.

I know you will close soon. So you might consider the above for next spring. If the borders open by then, you can also just drive across the border to a mail drop and pick up a kit you purchase on line and have sent to the mail drop.

I know you will close soon. So you might consider the above for next spring. If the borders open by then, you can also just drive across the border to a mail drop and pick up a kit you purchase on line and have sent to the mail drop.

Appreciate the info! I will def consider this.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.