Gold Supporter
May 15, 2019
Bridgewater, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I have been pretty good with cleaning the bottom of the pool skimming off the leaves at the top and emptying out the skimmers once a day. Water has been clear. Only see little bit algee on the steps and around hooks for volleyball net that's built into gunite pool. I use the floaters in the pool with 3 inch tablets. I don't brush the side walls (didn't know you had to) until yesterday. I started seeing streaks of algae at the bottom of the pool floor. There were patches everywhere. I started pushing it with the brush and push all to the deep end. I even scrub the walls and noticed that it building on on the walls too. Not sure what I am I doing wrong? I know TFP doesn't recommend using the tablets. I am new to pool so i ended up buying large quantity of the tablet from ebay. Now I am trying to utilize it since I can't return it. Should I fill up the floaters all the way to the top with the tablet? Each floater can hold probably like 5 - 6 tablets. Yesterday I scrubbed up most of the pool wall and the floor and added two packets of shock. Left the pump running overnight and this morning. Plan is to run it for 23 hours to clear the alge. Here is the morning picture from my bed room. I still see the green streaks at the bottom. How do I get rid of that and make sure it doesn't come back?108714

J,

It is pretty easy to prevent algae by keeping your CYA and FC in balance per this chart.. FC/CYA Levels... The hard part is getting rid of algae once you get it.. Generally pool store shock, and other magic that they sell, will temporarily knock algae down, but only until it comes back. The key is to kill it all... Once dead, it won't come back as long as you keep your water in balance.

Our process that kills the algae is called a SLAM... It requires the ability to measure FC levels in the 20's and 30's.. This is the main reason that I use the TF-100 test kit..

I suggest that you read this... ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and check out our Pool School..

Thanks,

Jim R.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running.

I already have the test kit. How do you measure the 5 ppm FC worth liquid. Is there a container should get that will have the measurements printed on it. Previous owner left a very large container of liquid cholrine. I have been just dumping it in to the water without any measurements. Also using the Tablets in the floater.

Do all the tests and post the numbers!

Use pool math to calculate 5ppm. PoolMath Enter your pool size up top, 0 on the first column for FC and 5 on the 2nd. Enter the % chlorine you have available. That will tell you how much = 5ppm.

Here are my numbers and tablets I have been using. What am I doing wrong?

Cl .5. - 1
pH 7.5

Chlorine drop test. Water didn't turn pink
CH test. 225ppm
TA. 80
CyA. 20ppm

This the tablet I use

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should also raise your CYA to 30-50ppm. You're losing a lot of your FC to sunlight with a low CYA reading of 20.

Straight from Pool School
CYA can be raised with cyanuric acid. Cyanuric acid is sold under a variety of names, including Stabilizer, Conditioner, Instant Pool Water Conditioner, Stabilizer 100, Stabilizer & Conditioner, etc. Instant Pool Water Conditioner is a liquid product which is significantly more expensive than the other forms.

Solid/granular cyanuric acid (CYA) should be placed in a sock and the sock put in the skimmer basket or suspended in front of a pool return. After adding CYA you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week. Squeezing the sock periodically will help it to dissolve faster. Test and dose chemicals in your pool assuming the amount of CYA added is in the pool according to Poolmath. CYA can be tested the day after it is fully dissolved from the sock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.