karaama

Jun 20, 2021
Wewoka Oklahoma
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So last night I added some algaecide. Now there was no visible algae growing, but I thought it was a good idea to pour some in to help prevent it. I generously poured some in and may of been too generous with the pour. The next day the pool was cloudy. Ive read that adding too much algaecide could cloud up the water but no articles explain how to resolve it. I'm pretty new to pool owning as this is my first pool. It's a 18x48 above ground. I just tested the water chemistry and its fine aswell. I have added algaecide before but it was in a smaller dose. I have not tried shocking the pool yet but I was thinking maybe it would go away with time.

Karaama, welcome to our pool care forum :goodjob:

Can you tell me the brand of Algaecide?

Do you test your pool chemicals routinely? Do you have one of the recommended test kits that contains the FAS-DPD tester for FC and CCs?

I'll let you in to a Pool Store secret- Algaecides are very, very weak algae killers. Almost worthless. Worse yet the cheaper ones contain metals such as copper which no one wants in their pool, eh?

The very best protection against algae is the proper amount of Chlorine, and the amount needs to correspond to how much stabilizer (CYA) you have in the pool water. If you can do that, you never need algaecide, ever.

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Recommended Levels

FC/CYA Levels

Some fast reads to help you understand. Holler back with questions :)

Maddie 🐞

Reactions: karaama
The brand name is Clorox "Awesome Algaecide." It contains 3.3% copper which I did not realize until reading the label now. I make sure to usually check the chemistry every week or so before I add shock. I own a little dinky bottle of pool test strips made by HTH. Nothing fancy compared to a test kit. If you also curious, I use HTH Super Shock Treatment. I have a few more problems out of topic I would like to discuss aswell. Since I do not have a pool skimmer, installed, there are a lot of floating debris and bugs floating at the surface of my pool. I have to skim fairly frequently and it's kind of a hassle. Covering the pool each night may help but I was thinking maybe there are some other solutions? Another problem is the water bugs. I read up on an article and it mentioned that water bugs feed on and lay their eggs in algae. I see a few water bugs every now and then in my pool but I don't see any visible algae. I make sure to shock every week and my pool chemistry is perfect. I appreciate all the feedback I get from you! Thanks!

Without a filtration system you become the filtration system. I’d keep it simple. Use a skimmer net. Get a vacuum you hook to a hose that forces fresh water in and sucks the junk on the floor into a catch net. Idk what they are called but it’sa little plastic thing with a spot to attach a pole and screw in a garden hose. They work pretty well in a small pool but do add fresh water. Just use bleach for sanitation. As for ph and TA, idk. When I had a little pool I didn’t bother with it. But I was always exchanging a fair about of water in it.

What's holding you back from obtaining a good test kit? You could be missing a lot of potential problems which you could nip in the bud because testing shows a problem long before the pool water turns funky or someone gets sick.

Can you please fill out a signature line (found under Settings) describing your pool, equipment, how you chlorinate and test, ect.

For a few hundred you can buy a solar skimmer that floats around the pool skimming the surface.

No way to remove copper unless drain and refill. Avoid all Clorox products cause they do tend to hide a lot of copper in products.

Maddie ✌️

I updated my profile. FYI I'm not sure what pump I have. I'm using the stock pump that came with the pool. I'm thinking of upgrading to a sand filter and pump because the one I have now isn't doing the job. Could of link some decent test kits I could purchase? Thanks again Maddie!

Here are the links to the recommended test kits. They allow you to test everything your pool needs tested. They are easy to use, color coded and come with instructions. The helpful folks on this forum will need to read a complete and reliable set of test results to help you if you have problems with your water.

But first here is a link that explains different test kits available:

Taylor Service Complete Pool Water Test Kit K-2006C Amazon.com : Taylor Service Complete Pool Water Test Kit K-2006C : Swimming Pool Liquid Test Kits : Garden & Outdoor

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.