Algaecide and Sequestrant

CarolD

Jul 21, 2018
Richmond, TX
Hello again. First of all, I just read through a 17 page thread about clearing cloudy pool water. I am so impressed with the patience you've shown and the help you've given the OP. It is really commendable! I hope her water clears soon!

Now for my question. When my pool was finished in July of 2018, the pool builder gave me a pool school lesson. He recommended weekly doses of algaecide 60 (polyquat) and sequestrant. Prior to this swim season, I purchased a bunch of algaecide and sequestrant. About 6 weeks ago, I went from dipping my toe in the water on TFPC to full on jump in with both feet etc... I haven't shocked, used sequestrant or algaecide in the last six weeks or so. My pool looks great.

Assuming I remain a jug dumper (and why wouldn't I???) will I ever have need of the algaecide? Should I just sell it while it is still fairly fresh? What about sequestrant? Is there ever a time when sequestrant is needed in the pool?

Algaecide is a pretty good preventer of algae and chlorine is even better. Algaecide can play a role in your pool management if you need to have low chlorine conditions (Like an AA treatment) You will have no need for it day to day so I would get rid of it.

Sequestrant is ONLY used to keep iron in soluble form so your pool doesn't get iron stains (copper and manganese but to a much lesser extent). Your builder is using it as a "safety net" in case your do have iron in your water. I would suggest you get you water tested for iron and, if the results are zero, discontinue the sequestrant as well.

I have heard of using the Polyquat 60 for closing pools for the winter.

You may not need to worry about that in Richmond, TX. Your climate is a little different from mine. >.>

Carol.

I have never added any weekly doses of pool store shock, algaecide, sequestrant, phos-free, or any other "magic" to my pools in the past 8 years... I tend to not answer questions about how to perform a SLAM, as I have never had algae and have zero hands-on experience with the SLAM process...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the info. IceShadow, you are right, I don't close my pool for the wintertime here. I just continue with chlorine, albeit at a much lesser rate, for the duration of the cold months.

There have been a number of conversations here about what to do for chlorine while on vacation. I don't have a SWG, nor do I have a ready person to dose chlorine while I am out of town. Saw some people suggested using pucks (I still have quite a few I am no longer using) but now I wonder if in place of pucks I could use up some of the algaecide by dosing before I go out of town.

Thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.