Algaecide and Sequestrant

CarolD

Jul 21, 2018
Richmond, TX
Hello again. First of all, I just read through a 17 page thread about clearing cloudy pool water. I am so impressed with the patience you've shown and the help you've given the OP. It is really commendable! I hope her water clears soon!

Now for my question. When my pool was finished in July of 2018, the pool builder gave me a pool school lesson. He recommended weekly doses of algaecide 60 (polyquat) and sequestrant. Prior to this swim season, I purchased a bunch of algaecide and sequestrant. About 6 weeks ago, I went from dipping my toe in the water on TFPC to full on jump in with both feet etc... I haven't shocked, used sequestrant or algaecide in the last six weeks or so. My pool looks great.

Assuming I remain a jug dumper (and why wouldn't I???) will I ever have need of the algaecide? Should I just sell it while it is still fairly fresh? What about sequestrant? Is there ever a time when sequestrant is needed in the pool?

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Algaecide is a pretty good preventer of algae and chlorine is even better. Algaecide can play a role in your pool management if you need to have low chlorine conditions (Like an AA treatment) You will have no need for it day to day so I would get rid of it.

Sequestrant is ONLY used to keep iron in soluble form so your pool doesn't get iron stains (copper and manganese but to a much lesser extent). Your builder is using it as a "safety net" in case your do have iron in your water. I would suggest you get you water tested for iron and, if the results are zero, discontinue the sequestrant as well.

IceShadow

Gold Supporter
Jun 8, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
I have heard of using the Polyquat 60 for closing pools for the winter.

You may not need to worry about that in Richmond, TX. Your climate is a little different from mine. >.>

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Carol.

I have never added any weekly doses of pool store shock, algaecide, sequestrant, phos-free, or any other "magic" to my pools in the past 8 years... I tend to not answer questions about how to perform a SLAM, as I have never had algae and have zero hands-on experience with the SLAM process...

Thanks,

Jim R.

CarolD

Jul 21, 2018
Richmond, TX
Thanks for the info. IceShadow, you are right, I don't close my pool for the wintertime here. I just continue with chlorine, albeit at a much lesser rate, for the duration of the cold months.

There have been a number of conversations here about what to do for chlorine while on vacation. I don't have a SWG, nor do I have a ready person to dose chlorine while I am out of town. Saw some people suggested using pucks (I still have quite a few I am no longer using) but now I wonder if in place of pucks I could use up some of the algaecide by dosing before I go out of town.

Thoughts?

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Load your pool to 20 ppm FC the morning you leave and put around 3 pucks in a floater.....you'll have FC when you return.