Algae update....continue shock?

lsbarkley

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2007
98
New Jersey
Hello all,

I started a new post since the other was related to swim safety and high chlorine. To recap...I initially shocked to 24 since I had mustard algae. Overnight it went to 16 and during day down to 6.5. Last night added bleach up to 24 again and this morning it was 19. I added more bleach this morning to go back up to 24 which was 8:30am. It was 85 and left the pump run all day with SWG to 0. At 9pm when I got home the FC was 7.5 with CC=0. I didnt go in the water to check the clarity with goggles so not sure if it is completly clear. So do I need to reshock back up to 24 again?

On a side note during these past two week my PSI hasnt gone up at all. I do have an oversized sand filter. I decided to backwash this morning before adding bleach but he water was completely clear. Just wanted to throw that info in there.

Thanks for all the input. As an apprentice to all the masters here I hope to one day join the Ring of Knowledge and help out where I can. I have learned so much in the past 4 months. Just how long does it take to be able to join the Ring of Knowledge?

Ls
 

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
37,879
Silver Spring, MD
You want to keep the chlorine high till you have a night without chlorine loss. If possible run the SWG during the day to keep the chlorine level from falling so much, but then off at night so you can measure the overnight loss.

With that much overnight loss there must be something living in your water that will come back in an obvious way when the chlorine level falls. Letting chlorine drop during the day may be giving it too much of a foot hold, try to keep the level higher during the day.
 

gonefishin

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
414
Joliet, Il.
Hi lsbarkley,

Your persistence will be key in the fight against algae. If your target shock level is 24 then anytime you check your chlorine you should add enough chlorine to bring you back up to your target level. The idea is to get as close as possible to maintain that shock level in your pool until it is maintained overnight with little or no loss. The more you can check your levels and add if needed the better.

Also...would you be able to describe what you have any more? Is it slick? does it stick to the bottom? is it powdery? Can you get a picture of it from the top of the water? Any other descriptions? If your able to grab a sample I'd like to take a look at it.

thanks,
dan
 

lsbarkley

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2007
98
New Jersey
Okay tell me I am good to go. Last night as I mentioned my FC was 7.5. I didnt do a thing to see what my FC reading might be this morning. Its FC 7.0 with CC 0. My pool pump was also off all night. This morning I turned on the pump and SWG. Am I good to go? Do I need a higher than normal FC to be sure its gone? Thanks.

THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT

Ls
 

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
37,879
Silver Spring, MD
A loss of only 0.5 overnight is within the error of the test and so considered no chlorine loss. And your CC is zero, which is good.

Some people like to hold at shock level for an extra 24 hours, but this is normally only required for mustard algae.

It sounds like you are done.