Algae Treatment and Vacation

ghotihook

Jul 2, 2020
Dayton, OH
Hi, I'm new to the forum and just getting started in the TFP methods. I'm also fairly new to pools, this is only my second season maintaining a pool. I have an algae infection that I started treating under the guidance of a pool store. I shocked the pool with Leslie Power Powder Plus (triple shock, 9 lbs) almost 2 weeks ago and the green color went away, but the pool was still cloudy. Now the green is coming back too. I just got my test kit a few days ago and have been learning how to test the water correctly. I know I need to SLAM the pool to cure the algae problem, but I am also about to be away for a week on vacation. My question is what should I do before I leave? Should I raise the chlorine to shock level, higher than shock level?

My test results the past 2 days:
7/6
FC: 5 ppm
CC: 0.5
CyA: 50
TA: 200
pH: 7.6
CH: 350
Added 1 gal of 10% liquid chlorine

7/7
FC: 6 ppm
CC: 0.5
CyA: 50
pH: 7.9
Temp: 89F
Added Muriatic Acid (46oz)
Added 1 gal of liq chlorine

I will test again when I get home from work today. I'm a little confused why the CC are low when there is clearly algae in the pool, but my main question is still what to do before being gone for a week.

Thanks,
Loris

If you can cover the pool, do it. Algae needs some sun to grow.

Otherwise, I'd say just let it go. You're not going to get it all killed before you leave, so any chlorine you add now will be wasted. It may kill a bunch of algae, but it won't last, and while you're gone the algae will start growing again. It'll be about as green when you return whether you do nothing or take it up to SLAM level. So save the bleach until you can do a sustained push and eradicate the algae completely.

My ¢¢

Thanks for the advice. I do have the winter safety cover, but I'm not sure its worth the hassle of getting it out and putting it on then taking it back off when I return. Would having the cover on really make a difference in fighting the algae when I return in a week?

Thanks for the advice. I do have the winter safety cover, but I'm not sure its worth the hassle of getting it out and putting it on then taking it back off when I return. Would having the cover on really make a difference in fighting the algae when I return in a week?
If it's blocks light, yes. Whether the time it saves is less than what it takes to install and remove the cover is unknown Only you know how much of a PITA it is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.