Algae returning to pool?

Nov 12, 2018
north florida
Moved from here.....

I replaced the sand in our filter 4 or 5 months ago and it has been fine. We had a hurricane and power was out for a month. Trying to clean the pool now and algae is coming right back into the pool from the filter. When I backwash there is not a lot of color change verifying the sand is not catching much. I took the sand out to check the pipe and stuff, put the sand back in and when I backwashed it was like mud water coming our for a minute or so. Still the green goes right through the filter back into the pool. Do I just need to buy new sand already?

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to TFP... A great place to learn how to turn a green pool blue... (There is song like that somewhere???)... :shark:

Chemicals keep algae out of your pool not the filter. Filters are designed to capture the stuff that falls into your pool.

My guess is that your CYA is above 80 and your Free Chlorine level is less than 2 ppm.

While you may need a new filter for some other reason, you don't need a new one because it won't turn your green pool blue.

Take a look at our Pool School and you will see what I mean... Pool School - Pool School

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.