Algae returning to pool via return jet when vacuuming

Feb 27, 2017
Nsw
Hi all, I have an above ground pool 35,000 L, chlorine is added manually as no swg due to metal capping and timber deck. running a new viron variable speed pump and sand filter. I have just replaced sand in the filter as we had issues with small particles being returned to the pool when vacuuming. This is continuing to happen now even with new sand. I run the pump on medium speed for vacuuming and low speed for general filtering as high speed exceeds pressure rating recommended by filter manufacturer. I'm just wanting to know how to eliminate this issue so I don't have to always vacuum to waste and top up water each week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Hag.

Hi all, I have an above ground pool 35,000 L, chlorine is added manually as no swg due to metal capping and timber deck. running a new viron variable speed pump and sand filter. I have just replaced sand in the filter as we had issues with small particles being returned to the pool when vacuuming. This is continuing to happen now even with new sand. I run the pump on medium speed for vacuuming and low speed for general filtering as high speed exceeds pressure rating recommended by filter manufacturer. I'm just wanting to know how to eliminate this issue so I don't have to always vacuum to waste and top up water each week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Hag.
Hello and Welcome to Trouble Free Pool!

Can you give us more details on your pump and filter? What are the model numbers, pump HP, & filter size and max flow rate? To me it sounds like your pump could be too big for your filter.

We almost never recommend changing filter sand, unless it has been contaminated with flocks or other pool $tore potions. Sand has been on the beaches for millions of years, I don't think a decade or two in a pool filter is going to make a dent in it LOL.

If you have algae in the pool, the filter is not going to eliminate it. Algae is a sign of improper sanitizer levels (eg. not enough FC for your CYA level), and chlorine is the answer. To eliminate algae, we follow the SLAM procedure:

https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

After the SLAM is complete, we maintain a FC level relative to our CYA (stabilizer) levels:

Chlorine / FC Chart

How do you normally chlorinate the pool? Bleach? Tablets? Trichlor/Dichlor? Cal-Hypo? How do you test your water?

Can you post a complete set of recent test results including:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry will explain what those abbreviations mean.

Also, please post your pool's details in your signature line to help others help you. See the link below:

Read This Before You Post

Again, welcome to the forum, nice to have you with us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.