Algae Removal Advice

That was quick! OK, so with a CYA of 40 you are over-chlorinating during your SLAM. While there is no real harm this particular time, the ranges we suggest are always there for a reason. You are wasting a significant amount of chlorine.

Please let your FC drift on down to around 16 ppm and then hold it there just as you have been holding around 30 ppm until now.

While we love folks who test often, the looks of your improving water and your results indicate you should reduce your testing to 2-3 times in a 24 hour period. Easier on you and no harm to your SLAM process.

You are close to done. Stay the course and be sure to remember the three things that will tell you your SLAM is complete.

1. Your Pool water is crystal clear with no visible sign of algae
2. You passed the OCLT losing not more than 1 ppm of FC
3. Your CC's test is either .5 ppm or 0 ppm.

Last edited:
I agree with what Dave said above.

Let your FC drift down to 16. Once it is at 16 or below do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test at whatever FC level it is in the evening and then check it at dawn and see what you lost. An OCLT at high FC levels is often inconclusive and checking at a lower FC level will give all of us a better idea of where you are.

By the time your FC gets down around 16 you may be done. Let's see how long it takes for your FC to get down to 16. The longer the better.

I am a little bit concerned about your water testing methods. Please review this for the common water testing mistakes that people make ...

Thanks for the help and additional reference Info. I will follow what is suggested and let you know how it goes. I did confirm there is no ammonia in the water. Also, one follow up item. Once i pass the overnight test I need to get the cya level back to 60-70 since I have an swg pool correct?

Once i pass the overnight test I need to get the cya level back to 60-70 since I have an swg pool correct?

Yes, although I would go easy on the CYA and initially raise it to 60-70. That should be fine for you in the winter and if you need to deal with algae again it will take a lower SLAM FC level. Come Spring you can raise it to 80.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.