Algae or not

Miniduper

Apr 19, 2020
Las vegas
I have been slamming my pool for the last 4 days. Every morning the pool looks clear but then after i brush the bottom I can clearly see something like dirt / algae being stirred up and then it makes the water cloudy again. 1.) Is this algae? 2.) Based on the SLAM process, if your pool passes the overnight chlorine loss test, does this guarantee there is no more algae regardless of whatever i'm stirring up?

The Overnight Chlorine Loss Test is a great tool, but once in a while we rely on other indicators to be sure - like CC level and water clarity. Question though - your signature shows 1,700 gallons. Is that a typo, or is your pool really that size? Also, can you post a full set of water test results?

Its probably dead algae. You can vac it out or stir it until it disappears. The chlorine will get it eventually. And dead algae isn't making the pool any worse so its much preferable to the alive kind.

Your FC is low for a SLAM. With a 70 CYA your target is 28 FC. Anytime below that will extend the SLAM. The first day or two needs constant babysitting if you want it to go quickly. Once the demand drops you can switch to only testing/adding a few times a day.

Reactions: Miniduper
Mini,

I interpret the "water is clear" portion of the SLAM criteria to mean there is also no dead algae in the pool. When I conducted my SLAM the first time, I did not wait until all the dead algae was gone from the floor of the pool and I ended up SLAMming again. I thought about it a bit and realized that if I have dead algae, then it had to come from live algae still in my pool. So I vacuumed the dead algae out and continued to SLAM until not only did I pass the OCLT, but there was no dead algae. Since that time, I have not had to SLAM again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.