Eisha1809

Jun 18, 2022
Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello, I have a 12,000 gallon pool. Cartridge filer and VS pump. I have kept a free chlorine level of at least 4 but have been seeing algae start growing. Do I need to SLAM if it’s just small amounts of alage? From what I have read about SLAM is that seems it’s for when the water is green and cloudy and clearly needs a mass amounts. My water is clear I can just see the green showing up on the walls.

Welcome to the forum!
You have visible algae. You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thank you! I have the test kit, I have the Taylor K2006C. I will start SLAMing on Sunday! I’m really confused why I had algae grow in the first place, but thanks for your help.

Be sure to update your signature with all of you pool details. See ours as examples. When you get a chance, post a full set of those test kit results and we'll help. Welcome! :wave:

full

Thank you! I have the test kit, I have the Taylor K2006C. I will start SLAMing on Sunday! I’m really confused why I had algae grow in the first place, but thanks for your help.
There is only one cause for algae -- insufficient FC for your CYA level. You provided your FC, but without knowing what your CYA is, we can't tell if that's sufficient or not. Given that you have algae, it's obviously not. We need to know your CYA to determine what your minimum FC should be.

Reactions: Mdragger88
There is only one cause for algae -- insufficient FC for your CYA level. You provided your FC, but without knowing what your CYA is, we can't tell if that's sufficient or not. Given that you have algae, it's obviously not. We need to know your CYA to determine what your minimum FC should be.
Exactly!! :)

So my CYA is at 65. I started the SLAM process on Saturday night. I have been running my pump constantly. I have the Poolmath app so I have been going off of the FC amount that it suggests. My pool is clear I don’t see any more algae. I don’t know what’s eating up my chlorine now I checked it last night and it was at 24 I woke up this morning to it being at 18.

Also, round up your CYA to 70, making your FC SLAM level 28. CYA is a logarithmic scale, so we don't count anything between the tens and round up to the next whole multiple of ten.

You'll probably need to brush that algae on the walls to get rid of it. That's always the hardest to get rid of for me. Brushing it really helps.

And once you pass the OCLT, make your FC target 7 and *never* let it drop below 5 and you shouldn't have any further problems with algae.

Keep us posted!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your min FC for a CYA of 70 is 5. Once you’re done with your SLAM keep FC in the 8 range so that it never dips below 5.

Also, round up your CYA to 70, making your FC SLAM level 28. CYA is a logarithmic scale, so we don't count anything between the tens and round up to the next whole multiple of ten.

You'll probably need to brush that algae on the walls to get rid of it. That's always the hardest to get rid of for me. Brushing it really helps.

And once you pass the OCLT, make your FC target 7 and *never* let it drop below 5 and you shouldn't have any further problems with algae.

Keep us posted!
Thanks for all your help! I’m still so new and learning as I go! I’m hoping you can help me again. I have been SLAMing since Saturday night. The pool is super clear, I have been brushing like crazy and gone through so much LC. I just can’t seem to pass the over night loss. Is there something else I should do/ be doing?

A drop of 6ppm overnight indicates you still have a problem. Keep your SLAM going.
Is there something else I should be doing to be sure everything is clear? I have gone through so much LC I don’t know what is going on. When I brush the walls or the floor nothing comes up. It’s the cleanest it has ever been. But I just can’t seem to pass the over night test.

since you are still slamming, when you check your FC in the morning, are you doing a Combined Chlorine test right after? Involves 5 drops of 0003 in clear FC result. If it changes from clear back to pink again, still fighting algae. If stays clear, wonder if the chlorine you are adding is still good. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Post a picture of your pool; any lights, stairs, ladders, water features? You may have some algae hiding in an area that doesn’t get good water movement. It’s very common.

1656035722111.png
IMG_5970 (2).jpg
Anyone have an idea what these are? In shallow end of fiberglass pool , single photo is 'it' on a dense netting and almost looks like sand, notice on right side of 'it' seems to be a tail (?) or whatever. And, the group photo. Thanks.

since you are still slamming, when you check your FC in the morning, are you doing a Combined Chlorine test right after? Involves 5 drops of 0003 in clear FC result. If it changes from clear back to pink again, still fighting algae. If stays clear, wonder if the chlorine you are adding is still good. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
Yes I have done the combined chlorine. It is clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.