Algae on natural stone seats

Alex_K

Mar 18, 2020
Texas
We just constructed a pool late last year, and I'm taking care of all chemical for the first time (paid someone at the old house). Everything is going pretty well, and (I recently started using pool math and a TF-100, and it has been more effective than the Pentair 78HR that the builders left us with). Had some setbacks over the winter as I was prepping and grading for sod, and we had constant silt and organic blowing in for 2-3 months, but it has cleared up rapidly since getting sod down, and obviously from tips in the forums and this site. My question is this:

We have four bar stools that are made of a native limestone for the seat rounds and stainless pipe, that constantly seem to algae over (green), even when the rest of the pool is crystal clear. I understand they are much shallower and get more sun, but they are doing so even more than our sun shelf which is a bit shallower. I'm thinking it was likely a "colony" in the stone to begin with, and just isn't getting Chlorine deep enough into the stone pores. Is there something I can do to address this without totally raising the Cl in the pool?

I was thinking about pulling them out, letting them dry well in the sun, and either brushing on 12% or flipping them upside down into a cookie sheet of 12% for a day or so (my thinking being that drying them out would maybe help wick the bleach deeper into the stone)? Is there something I should consider using that would work better?

****Currently FC 2.5, pH 7.6, TA 110, CH 150, CY 40, temp 75 with 90 degree days.

Have ABC read and understood. I have been keeping it about 4.5, as best I can tell. I was tinkering with the erosion tower setting, because I was having a hard time determining that level with certainty, so I figured I'd work it down until I got a definite reading and then come back up. Is there a trick to testing above the 3-5ppm level (The Pentair test kit only shows color to 3, and the K-1000 in the TF100 only shows to 5)? Am I skipping a test?

But the stools have been a continuous problem last fall even when running numbers up in the 20 range (per the company that did setup), and otherwise great water.

If you have been relying on the OTO yellow match TC test, you need to SLAM. Then use the FAS-DPD for your FC testing going forward.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.