Algae bloom, cloudiness, and the pool still is not open...

Olivewire83

Jul 9, 2019
Rensselaer, Indiana
Hello. I attempted to prep our above ground 7500 gallon pool for opening a month ago. It was dark green and full of algae. I had Burnout 73 from our local pool store and I used that first for the first week. The pool cleared to a light green, cloudy color. My ph was high at 7.8 so I used muriatic acid to lower it to 7.2. I was still loosing chlorine and the pool was still light green and cloudy so I took a sample in to my pool store to have it tested (I ran out of reagents to test my CYA and TA at home). Their results were:

pH 7.7
Total Alkalinity 141
Ca Hardness 110
Optimizer 2
Free Chlorine 0.2
Total Chlorine 0.9
Combined Chlorine 0.2
CYA 15
Phosphate 2975

I added pH down to lower the pH. They said my chlorine was locked (I thought CYA was high when it was locked) and to lower pH, add 1lb of Burnout 3, Backup (copper free algae prevention), and to clean my filter with Kleen It after adding the aforementioned and scrubbing/sweeping the pool. I did all of that and I was still not holding any chlorine the following morning. So, I proceeded to SLAM it by adding 2 gallons of liquid pool chlorine (12.5 %). I did this for three days, until the chlorine level only dropped 1PPM overnight. The pool was still cloudy and had a strong chlorine smell. When I tested it last night, it was at 2PPM. I added 1/2gallon of liquid chlorine to bring the level up, in case the algae was still present. When I got up this morning and tested it, the pool was blue but cloudy. My Chlorine was at 1PPM. I wanted to check the CYA again (but I was out of reagent) so I took a sample to the pool store. My results were:

pH 7.2
TA 134
Ca Hardness 109
Optimizer 1
FC 0.7
TC 1.7
CC 1
CYA 12
Phosphate 2869

They said to add 0.25 of pH down (as their other recommendations would raise it), 3 pounds of Burnout 3, and 11 lbs of optimizer, plus add 3 chlorine tabs into my floating chlorinator. They said I still had chlorine lock. ?I asked about my CYA being low and if that could cause the FC/TC to be low and they said that could be the problem. They said to add 1.5 pounds of stabilizer into the pool (I do not have a skimmer) and see how that goes.

Should I use the Burnout 3 or my liquid chlorine? Am I really in chlorine lock or is it merely my CYA being low that is causing my chlorine loss? I wanted to make sure before I dump more chemicals into the pool.
Thank you for your help!

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit, see Test Kits Compared. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: Olivewire83
Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit, see Test Kits Compared. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Thank you for replying. Should I add the stabilizer to increase my CYA first, before I add the liquid chlorine tonight?

We do not know what your CYA is. Unless this is a fresh fill of water and you have not added any.

If you believe those, go ahead. Those are pool store tests. We do not provide guidance based on them.

I received my Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006C kit today. 😁 Here are my levels:

FC 12
CC 2.2
pH 7.4
TA 150
CH 170
CYA 30

My pool is still cloudy but it is clearer than what it was. I have been using liquid chlorine (12.5%). I was using enough to raise it to 5ppm until yesterday when I noticed tiny specs of algae while brushing it. Since I didn’t have an accurate CYA reading, I used the amount suggested to raise it to 20ppm. It is down to 12 today so I will keep slamming up to 12ppm, per SLAM. Should I worry about my TA being high right now?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi. I have been slamming our pool since last Thursday. I can almost see the bottom. I passed the OCLT last night but my CC was still high at 2. My CYA was 40 yesterday morning, before I added liquid chlorine to raise it back up to 16 to continue the SLAM. Will a high FC throw the CYA off? I just tested my water (to maintain SLAM) and my FC dropped from 16 to 8.4 (it’s very hot and sunny today but that seems like a large loss). I checked my CYA again to be sure that I was still hitting the right SLAM parameters and the dot was still visible with the meniscus at 30. Did my CYA drop? My CC is at 1.2.

FC does not effect the CYA test.

There is some degradation of CYA in pool water. That along with normal testing variations are effecting your test results. Add 5-10 ppm CYA if you prefer to have the CYA at 40 ppm. But for the SLAM, you can leave as is. Adjust SLAM level FC to 12 ppm.

Reactions: Olivewire83
My CYA is 0 this morning (Taylor test chamber filled to the top and the dot is still visible). My pool has no visible algae debri but it is still cloudy at the very bottom. My FC went from 12 to 10.6 so my OCLT is slightly out again. My CC is still at 1.2. I know to continue the SLAM but should I add enough CYA to raise to 30? Also, can I continue the slam right after adding this (via the sock over the return)? My Hayward filter PSI is at 15. Should I clean the filter cartridge before adding the stabilizer? My pump runs at 10-12 PSI at initial startup. What is the maximum CC that is safe to swim in? 0.5? I am just trying to plan ahead in case I need to get into the pool to scrub it down more vigorously than I can from the outside.

You should have a minimum of 30 ppm CYA in the water as per the SLAM Process. You can add CYA while following the SLAM process.

You should clean your filter when the filter pressure rises by 25% over the clean filter pressure. (it is time).

CC can bother the eyes and nose. Swimming in it is not harmful besides those issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.