Algae and liner rip! Fix before July 4???

Jellwood

Jun 30, 2019
Riverhead, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Oh no! I just discovered bits of green algae in the corners of the pool and a rip in the liner on the bottom step!

I know I need to SLAM but do I have time to do it before Saturday?

I am so bummed...first summer doing this on my own...clearly I let the FC get too low. This morning:

FC 5 (added 1 gal 10%)
CC .5
Cya 50
Ph 7.6
TA 80
CH 140

Attachments

• 5FF503F7-7C0A-46E8-A5C4-F64EB5FBE33E.jpeg
    5FF503F7-7C0A-46E8-A5C4-F64EB5FBE33E.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 36
If your water is clear and you're just seeing a few bit of surface algae then keeping your FC at the upper end of the target range should keep things clear and safe through the weekend festivities. After everything is done then follow the SLAM Process (emphasis on brushing since it is clinging to the surfaces) and eradicate it.

No answer on the liner rip though, that's outside my area of expertise unfortunately.

Thanks @Donldson! Patched rip with a $7 vinyl Kit from Home Depot, brushed, kept FC up all weekend and will start SLAM today. Pool will probably turn sparkling green like last time with all the iron in our water, but I’ve got the polyfill and I’m ready! :)

Reactions: Donldson
Hello again @Donldson! Update and question:

My CYA is <30 so I’m using the 30 SLAM level of FC 12.

Started SLAM on Monday after cleaning and recharging the DE filter.

I vacuum and brush daily and don’t see any visible algae. Found lots of algae around the light fixture! Yuk! Got that out with a toothbrush.

Checking chems and adding 3x day. Usually have to add anywhere from 2 quarts to a gallon each time to get back up to 12 (meaning I’m losing 2-3 ppm each time). CC is always 0 or <.5. Has been sunny and pool gets lots of direct light. Water is clear and sparkly (and hasn’t turned green from iron yay!)

Havent tried the OCLT yet because It seems like I’m still losing a lot of FC during the day. Which leads to my question: am I losing a lot? Should I try the OCLT yet?

Thanks so much.

Your CYA is a little low so you are losing some FC to the sun. As long as you do not see visible algae, and the water is clear you can do the OCLT. Check the chlorine level when the sun is off the pool, like at dusk and record the result. Test again in the morning before the sun is fully on the pool, like at dawn. Compare the two results.

Will do. Each time I checked at dusk the FC was low so I felt like I needed to add more to get back up to SLAM for the night.
I’ll add stabilizer tomorrow and keep slamming until dusk and try the OCLT. (In a tropical storm it sounds like!!! 😳) thanks again.

Ok will do....but now a new wrinkle!!! For some reason I let my CC test this morning sit longer than I usually do before dumping it and it turned pink after several minutes. and it turns out I had a CC of 1! (I guess I need to wait a bit each time from bow

I brushed again. I see no algae. But I’ve read so many threads and the tests don’t lie...there HAS to be algae somewhere. I know...POP...but I’m coming up on day 5 Of clear water and no visible algae.

I’m afraid of electrocuting myself by taking out the pool light but I’m wondering if that is the culprit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.