Algae and debris

Jul 6, 2020
Ohio
I have a 24’ round above ground pool that I inherited and it was bad upon opening but it’s getting better. There was a ton of debris in the pool and I have gotten probably 80% of it out. What is left just falls apart when trying to scoop it out with a net or vacuum. Even if i brush and agitate it, it settles back to the bottom. How do I get this out? I’m trying to SLAM my pool but this stuff just won’t go away and I feel that if I SLAM it, it’s just for naught because it’s creating algae. I’m new to above ground pools so any help would be great.

Sorry and thanks. I ordered the TF-100 test kit as no stores around here had it. I’m just using a 5-step kit as of right now. My levels
pH is 7.2
Alk 180
FC 5.0
CC 5.0
That’s all I tested at this time due to small testing kit available until new one comes in. I’m trying to keep the chlorine high but with this debris in the pool and not being able to get it out, I’m lost.

Until you know the CYA level, you cannot attack this.
While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.

Once you get your TF100, run a full set of tests and post them here.

And while you are adding your 5 FC of chlorine daily and waiting on your test kit, try to vacuum/brush/net/whatever to get the rest of the debris out of the pool. You want the chlorine focused on killing the algae and not having to split duty between killing algae and trying to oxidize leaves and dirt.

Ok so my TF-100 test kit came today. The pool is the clearest it’s been since we opened it. Completely vacuumed out as well. Here’s my results.

FC: 1
CC: 0.5
TC: 1.5
CYA: 0
Ph: 6.8
Calcium: 150
Total Alk: 100

I’m filling it up as we speak as I drained it some to get the rest of the gunk off the bottom.

Great job on the testing!
Looks like you need to add CYA. Did the test sample cloud up at all?
Add chlorine. Add 10 ppm worth now. Once we know about the CYA test, you will be adding some CYA and more chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so I put the sock in yesterday and it’s doing it’s thing. Went out every few hrs and squished it as I have it hanging in front of my return. I’m now at 11 ppm FC. But I woke up this morning and my cartridge filter was barely pushing and I have gunk in the bottom of the pool again. It was completely clear last night. I have a lot of trees that backdrop the pool from my neighbors yard. Is it just pollen? Or is this still algae. I did an overnight chlorine loss and it went from 5.5 to 4.5. Scratching my head here.

Attachments

• A966728A-3BA7-4EE7-AF5C-6C33EECD443E.jpeg
    A966728A-3BA7-4EE7-AF5C-6C33EECD443E.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 17
Just cleaned it and it’s at 18% right at the start.
Do you mean that the pressure has already gone up 18%, or your gauge is reading at 18 psi right after you cleaned it? If it is the latter 22 psi (18 + 25%) would be when you would clean.

Doing my overnight test. Pool is crystal clear finally and filter is holding steady without me having to clean it even though I am. Wish me luck! The kids are dying to swim😂
FC 14
CC 0.5
pH 7.3
CYA 20 (still a little bit left in the sock so I’m not adding anymore to it)

You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.