Alert! Priming Dry on Pentair Intelliflo motor

Arizoniann

Jan 16, 2016
Gilbert, AZ
My filter wasn't turning on at its schedule times. I pressed the power button and it eventually would turn on, but no water would pass through. I called the pool service people (from the company who built my pool), and they told me to come pick up a new O ring and try that. I lubed and installed the new O ring, but still it would not prime. I opened the motor door to see the message Alert! Priming Dry! with a red light flashing. (I am going to try to include a photo) The service department said they would not be able to come out to my house until next Tuesday (Today is Wednesday, that's 6 days away!) I'm reluctant to have a different company come out, as it might mess up my warranty. Is there a way to keep my pool from turning green, as I can't run my pump for six days? I do keep it covered to hold in the heat (we live in the Phoenix area). Can I still pour chlorine in even though I can't circulate it with my pump?

Attachments

• IMG_4264.JPG
    IMG_4264.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 36
Do you have a hose bibb (faucet) connected to your pump? If so, get a female-to-female garden hose adapter and blast water in there while attempting to prime. That’s how my pool builder initially primed my pump after a drain & refill.

You can still pour liquid chlorine. Move it around with your pool brush. Easier with 2 people, which I see you have in your photo. Good luck.

Reactions: Arizoniann
My filter wasn't turning on at its schedule times. I pressed the power button and it eventually would turn on, but no water would pass through. I called the pool service people (from the company who built my pool), and they told me to come pick up a new O ring and try that. I lubed and installed the new O ring, but still it would not prime. I opened the motor door to see the message Alert! Priming Dry! with a red light flashing. (I am going to try to include a photo) The service department said they would not be able to come out to my house until next Tuesday (Today is Wednesday, that's 6 days away!) I'm reluctant to have a different company come out, as it might mess up my warranty. Is there a way to keep my pool from turning green, as I can't run my pump for six days? I do keep it covered to hold in the heat (we live in the Phoenix area). Can I still pour chlorine in even though I can't circulate it with my pump?
Not to nit pick, but you need to do a better job of protecting your keypad, keep it closed when not in use, and build a simple pump cover to offer protection from wind blown dirt. These pumps are great until they have problem$.

Thank you for your replies, I don't know what I would do without TFP. I got my pool 4 years ago and when I initially googled "How to take care of a pool without a pool guy" I found TFP. I have been following their methods ever since. I have never had a green pool, and I'm so thankful for that! think I know why my pump stopped running. One of my O rings is starting to crack. I lubed it up again, filled up both the baskets with water, and the pump is running successfully. In the four years I've had my pool, I haven't had to replace any equipment (just the O ring on the white basket), I should probably look into replacing the filter cartridges but they are still holding together really well. I really makes a difference to clean them once a month. And even though my pump was shut down for a couple days, I still have 3ppm free chlorine and 0 CC :) That pool cover really protected my chlorine :) I'm still having the repair guy come out to double check and make sure that's the only thing wrong. Anyway, thanks again for all your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.