Air surging back through skimmer

Jul 18, 2017
HONESDALE
Air is surging back through the skimmer when I turn the pump off. It is causing an eruption of water out of the skimmer. This results in low water in the pump basket that I have to then refill before turning the pump back on. I have tried bleeding air by holding down the handle, I have backwashed and rinsed several times, and I have done a deep clean of the sand in the filter. I don't see any leaks in the intake hose that would suggest it is sucking air from there. Hoping someone has an idea of what is letting air into the system. I have a Jacuzzi Lazer Sand Filter.

The most common cause of air getting in like that is low water level. The pump creates a vortex in the skimmer and a lot of air gets drawn in and compressed. Once the pump is off, it expands. And you have seen what happens. A sticking weir in the skimmer throat can cause the same thing.

Then you work your way back from the pump basket lid, the drain plugs, plumbing connections, leaking valve stems. There's a couple articles in pool school about leak detection. All your plumbing is above ground so it ough to be easy.

Its definitely not low water. We've had so much rain here the pool was almost overflowing when I pulled the winter cover off of it on Memorial Day. I'll start with the skimmer throat and work my way back from there. Thanks very much.

With the pump running, what happens when you open the air relief on the filter? Seems to me that if the problem is that the filter has a lot of air in it, the air should come out when you open the air relief valve...

Show us a pic of your set up, maybe we can spot something..

I am not an AG pool guy, but I'm not sure how the pump basket can ever be empty with gravity at work... :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Gravity won’t fill the pump pot any higher than the inlet pipe. That leaves a couple of inches air gap in the pump pot. Mine used to do that on occasion.

You can also try wrapping the hose connections tightly with plastic wrap and then run the pump with the air bleed open on the filter. Once a steady stream of water is shooting out of the filter close the air bleed, run the pump for an hour and see if you still get the burp after shutting off the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.