Air pocket in pump strainer when vacuum hose attached to skimmer/ loss of vacuum efficiency

Apr 27, 2012
tulsa, ok
Started manually vacuuming after removing pool cover and opening pool for season. I noticed that vacuum head was not picking up much dirt/leaf debris from bottom as usual. I started investigating why. I discovered when I connect the vacuum hose to the port in skimmer, a fist sized air bubble/pocket forms in pump strainer lid. (Maybe this is normal, as I’ve never looked in the past) The pump maintains prime, and there is a fair amount of suction created at the vacuum head. I have replaced my vacuum line and checked for air leak at strainer lid (Used shaving cream around the perimeter of lid) No improvement nor air leak found. When I disconnect the vacuum hose, the air pocket/bubble goes away.

I still vacuum manually with a basic old-school hose and head. I can attest to the fact that even if the hose is well primed, the pump pot still gets a fair amount of air in there. It's never as full as when I'm not vacuuming. As long as I don't lose prime all is well.

Reactions: aggiejet
Thanks, Tex.
I discovered this evening that a lot of the clutter that wasnt being picked up by vacuum was in fact, stuck to plaster and needed to be brushed to get it loose. I havent encountered that before and I attribute that to my 18 year old plaster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.