Gold Supporter
May 22, 2018
Elmhurst, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I tried going back to a previous post I started to do an update, but I can't get to it because of current site issues. Quick summary.... I started the season with a little air in my pump and filter. Sought guidance here and have done the following with no success so far: changed pump lid and o-ring, lubed new pump lid o-ring, re-taped pump drain plugs and replaced o-rings (and lubed them), and re-lubed an o-ring in a union on the line going into the pump. I have also done the water test multiple times. On the first try, it seemed like the air leak was eliminated when I ran water over the pump cover, but that didn't last long. The air leak has returned. I broke down and called the pool company I use and they were out recently. Basically, they checked everything I did related to the pump, and the valves and unions that sit in front of the pump and couldn't eliminate the air leak. I asked about replacing all the valves and unions, etc in the 4' of pipe coming into the pump, (which are old quite old) and he said he could do that, but he didn't think that was the source of the air leak (at least he was honest instead of just doing it and charging me). He said the next step was to do a pressure check of the line and that is going to run $400. (They send a separate crew for that.)

So...... does it make sense at this point to proceed with the pressure check? Any other things I can try before going that route at this point? In addition to the air leaking into the pump, I seem to be losing water (about 1/2 " per day). So I'm wondering if I might have more than just the air leak going on. Also, the pool water is not quite as clear lately. Could that be due to filter not running as efficiently due to air in the system? After 10-15 minutes the entire site glass on the filter is basically full of air, so I have to bleed it frequently. Cloudy water might also be related to trying out a new pool cleaner which I just started doing yesterday (S200 Demo), which may be stirring up stuff on the walls (which I don't brush very often).

If leak detection/ pressure test is the next logical step for me, should I stick with the pool company that I have used for the past couple of years when needed? Another recommendation (from the pool guy who is providing the S200 cleaner demo) is a company called American Leak Detection. He said they are good and can usually pinpoint leaks readily. I was planning to call them today to get more information. Anyone have experience with this company?

I hope the problems on the TFP site don't prohibit people from responding to this post. I've been battling this problem for a couple weeks now and I'm getting frustrated and desperate at this point.

Thanks for any suggestions.

If you've ruled-out everything above ground from the pump and everything before it, then about the only thing left is the suction line underground. The fact you seem to be losing some water may confirm that. Usually though, the suction line will only lose water when OFF because when it's running it's pulling air IN so water cannot seep out - only once off. The only thing you could do as a DIY test is get some PVC and a new adapter and connect it to the front of your pump and have the other end go straight into the water - like a long straw. That's basically bypassing all the valves and old suction line to see if that corrects the problem. So if you have some extra PVC, or chose to buy enough long pieces (and an adpater to screw onto the pump) and do that test, it's an option before spending $400 or more on a leak detection. That's about all I can think ofl.

Thanks for that suggestion, Splash. My pump sits quite a distance from the pool and I'm not the handiest guy when it comes to plumbing, so I'm going to bite the bullet and get the pressure test/leak detection work done. If I did do as you suggest, and I don't get any air in the pump, then that means there must be a leak in the line and I still have to find it, so I think leak detection is the next step for me. I'm just hoping they find the leak somewhere in the line and it's a fairly easy repair, but being realistic I know the most likely source for a break is where the suction line connects to the skimmer.... which means cutting the concrete deck and tearing up my yard. :cry: If I was a betting man, I'd put money on the Leak Detection service finding a break at the skimmer. I'll re-post when I get the leak detection done to let you all know the outcome. Thanks.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Question: Does it tell me anything about a possible air leak if the pump seems to have less air in it when I run the backwash and rinse cycles?
Maybe. o_O
You usually pump more water through the suction side of the system when backwashing/rinsing, so what could be happening is that the suction is 'sucking' harder on the plumbing/equipment and actually sealing off the leak. That happens regularly when the basket lid seal is leaking.

Thanks. So I still need to find out where that leak is coming from in the suction line. I am scheduled with American Leak Detection for a week from today. Must be a lot of leaky pools this year, as the service seems to be very busy. The pool company I use for repairs referred me to this service and said they are actually a little cheaper than what they charge for leak detection. I'll keep you all posted on the outcome of the leak detection.

Well...... it's good news, bad news situation on my air leak. The good news is that there won't have to be any digging. The bad news is that the air leak was in the line (at a union) right before the pump where I (or my pool company) should have been able to find it! So..... it cost me $450 with the Leak Detection Company to find a simple air leak. I can't believe that the water test I did did not stop air coming into the pump when I ran it over that section of the line. Maybe I wasn't doing it right.... or maybe I should have tried some other method, but after several attempts to locate it AND after calling in the pool company to check for the air leak, neither of us found it where it eventually turned up. Pretty disappointed in myself AND my pool company!

Attachments

• bad unuion.jpg
    bad unuion.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 8
Follow up question: The Leak Detection guy also suggested putting some caulk on all the connections in that 3' of line that sits in front of the pump. Would any type of clear silicone caulk do the trick? I attached 2 photos below. The first is the section of suction line that sits in front of the pump and the second is the repair that was done today (cut out union and attach piece of rubber hose and clamps).

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 7
  • bad unuion.jpg
    bad unuion.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 7
Sorry to hear about that leak detection fee. That stinks. As for the caulk, just about any outdoor rated stuff should work as insurance if you wish to add it. I actually did the same a few years ago when I was chasing my tail for a tiny leak. The caulk is still there.... and so is my air bubble. Ha.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.