Air in pump

Sep 22, 2018
Tallahassee, FL
Hello All,

We finally got our new AGP up and running. We purchased a 18x33x54 oval saltwater pool from The Pool Factory and finally get it installed and filled. I piped the plumbing system using SCH40 2" PVC, mainly because Lowes and HD were out of 1.5". The pump is a 1.5HP Hayward PowerFlo Matrix single speed pump with a 21" sand filter and an SJ40 Circupool SWG. Pics are attached.

The problem - air in the pump and I can't get it out. I have loosened the basket lid and the pump will fill but can't seem to keep up. So what have I done wrong? One concern is that the pump might be too high - it is at approximately the same height as the water level. OR do I need a stronger pump? I would have thought this pump would be plenty.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 6C73EA60-995F-4F81-8617-0DB11EED098C.jpeg
    6C73EA60-995F-4F81-8617-0DB11EED098C.jpeg
    691.9 KB · Views: 16
  • E317BBFA-0944-43F2-BBB0-1C47EC1B886D.jpeg
    E317BBFA-0944-43F2-BBB0-1C47EC1B886D.jpeg
    658.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 6D463758-AFD9-4F8A-B045-011AC806F2FD.jpeg
    6D463758-AFD9-4F8A-B045-011AC806F2FD.jpeg
    313.4 KB · Views: 16
I'm not an expert, but I think your pump is situated too high. Pumps for AGP's are designed to self-prime by gravity. Looks like it would be a big pain to change; hopefully someone will be on here soon to come up with a solution that doesn't involve a re-do of a very good looking plumbing job.

Sound's like you are pulling in air somewhere on that suction side. I have the same pump but as a 2-speed for my inground. As long as the pad (pump) and water level are close it should pull fine. Did you lube the clear lid O-ring? There should also be one drain plug O-ring at the bottom. Other than that, check that union and any other connections from the skimmer to the pump inlet.

As Texas Splash said, lube the O rings on the pump, the one in the lid, as well as the one on the drain plug. Also, double check to make sure there is an O ring in that union b/t the pump and skimmer. and lube that too. If you end up re plumbing the run b/t skimmer and pump, you should install a shut off ball style valve on that run for maintenance purposes (maybe you have one and I just cant see it).

Try running the pump in recirculate mode. This should increase your pump output by bypassing the sand in the filter and see if the air bubbles decrease or go away.

Thanks again for ALL the responses! Your advice is invaluable!

Well, it's working beautifully. Here's what I did:
  • Dropped the level of the pump about 8"
  • Re-plumbed the section that was leaking
  • Added a ball valve (being a novice I realized I put the valve between the pump and the union instead of before the union)
  • Lubed all o-rings
I'm not sure what solved the problem or if it's a combination of things, but a quick backwash and rinse and the pump is running free of air!

full

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.