Air in Pump?

ny2nc

Bronze Supporter
Dec 19, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Hey Pool Masters!

I noticed that when the pool pump is running (Pentair VSP), whether on full blast or a trickle it looks like there is air in the pump. Like it hasn't fully primed. This has never happened before. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Sounds like you probably want to exhaust everything on the TFP Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks page. Pay special attention to the pool's water level (at least halfway up the skimmer opening), your weir door is operating properly and not restricting flow, and your pump basket O-ring clean and lubed. See if any of those help and let us know.

Experts can tell me if this is wrong but, Its not in the pool school page but I used a method I saw on the interwebs using a hose.
Run hose on a low volume of water and then start putting water on Jandy valves, pump plug , joints etc.
Video:
Find an air leak in your swimming pool. - YouTube

In my case, it was the shaft o rings in a jandy valve from the skimmer/main drain just upstream of the pump.

What got me perplexed was it only leaked when cold. Plus, when I hit it with water, it would stop leaking sometimes for the rest of the day.
Cause it stopped leaking when warm, I thought twice the pool guy fixed it. Well, he never saw it.

Update: Still haven't found the source of the air in the pump. I've tried the hose over all the jandy valves, plugs, etc. So far no luck, HOWEVER sometimes when turning off the pump and opening the pump lid it "spits." Not every time, but sometimes. I'm thinking that o-ring might need to be replaced even though it doesn't show a reliable correlation. I've also just ordered Magic Lube from Amazon. If I don't need it now, I can imagine I will need it in the future! I'm getting a little nervous the issue could possibly be below ground. What is the probability of that? Thanks for all your help and advice!

I'm getting a little nervous the issue could possibly be below ground. What is the probability of that?
While it is a possibility, it's not as common as items above ground. So definitely exhaust all your research above ground before considering any attempt to dig. Based on the "spit" comment, I would also check your filter for any suspected air leaks (multiport valve, air relief if you have one, pressure gauge, etc). At this point don't rule out anything. Try the garden hose water trick over everything and look for changes. Some like to try shaving cream (messy for me though), and some like plastic wrap around some items.

I just wanted to follow up in case this information is helpful to someone else down the road. I tried the garden hose trick over and over again on every place I could and nothing changed the air bubble in the top. I ordered magic lube and a new o-ring just in case and called our pool builder for any suggestions. I went to empty the skimmer that afternoon and noticed the hairnet that I had over the normal basket was floating on top of the water instead of sort of pulled down from the suction...which isn't normal (at least for us). I told hubby it was almost like something was blocking the suction. Well, he (being the good old country boy that he is, as well as an engineer) fired up his super duper shop vac. We turned off the pump, removed the skimmer basket and removed the secondary skimmer basket/lid. He put the shop vac on reverse and positioned it over the hole in the skimmer in the pool and let 'er rip. Water (and some debris) came up through the secondary skimmer. We removed the shop vac, put everything back as it should be and turned the pump on. Guess what? No more air bubbles. Several days later no more air bubbles. I don't know if it was coincidence, sheer dumb luck or what, but it worked. So, take this with a large grain of salt! :scratch: Thanks for all the advice!!!

By secondary skimmer I'm assuming you mean the pump basket with the lid right? So basically he blew-out the line and now you're good-to-go. That's outstanding. :goodjob: Very odd right? Like maybe something was stuck somewhere blocking good flow? In any case, it's good to hear you got that work resolved. Enjoy! :swim:

By secondary skimmer I'm assuming you mean the pump basket with the lid right? So basically he blew-out the line and now you're good-to-go. That's outstanding. :goodjob: Very odd right? Like maybe something was stuck somewhere blocking good flow? In any case, it's good to hear you got that work resolved. Enjoy! :swim:

Oh yes, I meant the pump basket and lid. :::facepalm::: My 4 year old was pulling at my leg as I was typing and I couldn't get the right word. LOL It was very odd, but something was stuck in there blocking the flow enough to create the air bubble. Thanks! Kids were swimming yesterday...woohoo! :kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.