Central CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Universal40
Whenever I run my pump at full speed, there's no air in it, but when I reduce the speed to 2100 rpms or 1300, a lot of air gets in, it probably takes a day or two.

Then if I run it at full speed again, the air will get worked out in a matter of minutes, is this a suction side air leak?

I sealed the union in front of the pump with silicone, it's still happening, I checked the strainer lid gasket, but nothing seems to be fixing it

I think all VS pumps do that to some extent at lower speeds. As long as your pump does not lose prime then it is ok.

Ok this morning the water level in the pump strainer was down about 2" or more, barely covering the strainer basket, I don't imagine that's supposed to be that way

No, it shouldn't get that low. Have you put silicone pool lube on the pump lid o-ring? Make sure the pump pot drain plug is snug. This video shows other ways to check for a suction side leak.

I put a new oring in, lubed it up, I think I can safely say that all of this isn't leaking air

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200525-095114.png
    Screenshot_20200525-095114.png
    791.3 KB · Views: 11
I checked the drain plugs, they're tight, I put a new oring in, put lube on it, I put so much silicone on all the fittings on the suction side there's no way they leak, it's driving me crazy

What I don't understand is do people who have VS pumps and run them at low speeds 24/7 have this issue?

Now, when I turn the pump on it does its priming cycle, which is about 2700rpm for 3 minutes, before going back down to 2100rpm, but the strainer basket never fills up with water there's a lot of air in it,
No. It is a perfectly normal characteristic of a VS pump and is of no harm to your pump or pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I caNt run it at full speed or it'll suck air, but I'm trying to run it at 2100
Now that sounds like a suction side leak. YOu should be able to run your pump at full rpm and not suck any air. Where is it sucking it from?
What I don't understand is do people who have VS pumps and run them at low speeds 24/7 have this issue?
Well, I doubt very few people run a VS on low 24/7 but, yes, If you ran on a low VS speed 24/7, the you would always have air in the pump basket.

Now that sounds like a suction side leak. YOu should be able to run your pump at full rpm and not suck any air. Where is it sucking it from?
Well, I doubt very few people run a VS on low 24/7 but, yes, If you ran on a low VS speed 24/7, the you would always have air in the pump basket.
Interesting,

What I mean when I say it sucks air, I vacummed to waste a couple days ago, the water level dropped a lot, when I try to run it full speed it sucks air from the skimmer, I'm refilling it, now, once it's at the proper level that won't be a problem anymore

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.