Air in pump basket and bubbles from returns....

At the very least if you can't solve the mystery yourself, you should have the pump warranty to fallback on and the company that installed it. I too doubt it's the pipes, so perhaps one last round of checking this weekend at the joints, the 3-way. all lube points, and pushing water backwards to ensure there is no obstruction. Good luck, and let us know ow it turns out.

I had the company who installed the pump come out. The guy told me the bubbles are from cavitation from running too high RPM and I just need to run it at a lower speed. I told him I've been running it at 2800rpm since they installed it with zero issues but then all of a sudden it started churning massive amounts of bubbles in the pump basket where it didn't at all before. He just insisted it's cavitation and there is no issue. Yet he couldn't explain why it was perfectly fine for two weeks then all of a sudden it changed. Told me to run it at 2000rpm since it doesn't get air in the basket at that low of a speed...the only problem is my vacuum and skimmer don't work nearly as well at that low of RPM and I should be able to run it at 2800 like I was.

I'm at a loss and so frustrated.

I had the company who installed the pump come out. The guy told me the bubbles are from cavitation from running too high RPM and I just need to run it at a lower speed. I told him I've been running it at 2800rpm since they installed it with zero issues but then all of a sudden it started churning massive amounts of bubbles in the pump basket where it didn't at all before. He just insisted it's cavitation and there is no issue. Yet he couldn't explain why it was perfectly fine for two weeks then all of a sudden it changed. Told me to run it at 2000rpm since it doesn't get air in the basket at that low of a speed...the only problem is my vacuum and skimmer don't work nearly as well at that low of RPM and I should be able to run it at 2800 like I was.

I'm at a loss and so frustrated.
That's a load of garbage right there.

I called two other pool companies. Both said the excuse of "cavitation" sounds like a bunch of Bull. I'm going to have one of them come out and take a look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cavitation won’t cause bubbles once the lines fully primed, cavitation affects the impeller shaft to vibrate more than it should, resulting in premature failure, that’s why pump companies insists on 5 X pipe dimension before the pump. I’m still betting it’s a simple o ring somewhere or cover on improperly that’s causing it

Cavitation won’t cause bubbles once the lines fully primed, cavitation affects the impeller shaft to vibrate more than it should, resulting in premature failure, that’s why pump companies insists on 5 X pipe dimension before the pump. I’m still betting it’s a simple o ring somewhere or cover on improperly that’s causing it

What oring could it be that i haven't checked? The union gasket looks perfect with no damage and i lubed it up. Lid o ring is of course new with the pump and i lubed it up good, too. I replaced all the rings on the jandy valve which were lubed up. Everything is nice and tight.

Run your finger on the mating surface for the pump cover to see if there's something impeding a good seal. Also remove cover oring and inspect carefully. Lube it well before putting it back into the covers ridge. New doesn't mean it can't have an imperfection.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kevin,

With all the work you have already done with lube and new O-Rings, I'd want a second opinion.. I am in favor with having someone new come out..

The reason for my suggestion that it might be a flow issue because of a partially clogged suction line, or something partially plugged on the return side, was because the tech that come out obviously saw what he thinks is cavitation. If the pump can't suck enough water that is what you get.

For me, troubleshooting is eliminating possibilities..

You have unions on your pump and filter, so it would be interesting to see what happened if you just disconnected the filter and let the pump run for a few seconds to see what kind of flow you have and if all the bubble get sucked right out of the basket area. You can rotate the pipe between the pump and the filter so that it would not dump water on the pump motor.

It would also confirm if you have any obstruction in the skimmer line.

Obviously, you can't run that way to long without dropping the water below the mouth of the skimmer.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hey all, sorry on the delay. Just been busy at work. Narrowed it down to the my near skimmer. Closed it off and no more air. Had my pool tech use a microphone and found the leak right at the skimmer line where it comes out. I have pavers so easy to dig up. Whoever owned the house must have put chlorine pucks in the skimmers. Ate away the piping, yikes. Also used flex line which is a no no. pool leak 1.jpgpool leak 2.jpgPool leak repair.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.