Air bubbles during startup after pump is off after awhile?

Oct 14, 2016
Virginia Beach
So if my pump is off for a period of time and I turn it back on, I can see and hear air being cleared by the jets. I'm assuming there is a slow air leak somewhere, but I don't see any obvious leaks from the plumbing anywhere. I do hear a sucking/sipping noise from the multiport valve and looking at the pump lid (hayward superpump) i can see a little bit of air swirling, which I've read is not optimal. Can that mutliport seal go bad and cause a leak?

The multisport can leak and they have rebuild parts for them. When pump primes it should clear the lid to solid water. Any air under lid is from suction side and wouldnt be caused by a leak after the pump. Most systems make noise and bubble a little on startup from the initial churn of water

Thanks. I don't see any leaks on the suction side but I used to have a tiny leak on the pressure side right at the pump housing. It's since disappeared when I cleaned the filter. Is it normal for these pumps to have to prime every time they start?

Is it normal for these pumps to have to prime every time they start?
No, the pump should not have to prime every time it starts. If the pump is losing prime when it is off, there is an air leak somewhere. It could be on the pressure or suction side of the pump. Keep in mind that an air leak may not show up as a water leak when the pump is running so they can be very difficult to find. When the pump is running and after it primes, is there any air in the pump basket?

That is probably the swg. It makes hydrogen bubble while running and the are very small with high flow rates.

Sounds like the return side leak could be the source.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.