Air bubble in strainer basket - normal?

johnkim2020

Aug 2, 2020
Canada
Hello all,
I got my pool built recently.

My friend mentioned I had air in my strainer basket and indicator of air leak.

Here is the video:

You can see Pentair 3hp intelliflow with strainer with air bubble running at full speed and Pentair 1hp pump with no air bubble.

questions:
1. Is this normal?
2. If not, how big of an issue is this?
3. Should I get my pool builder fix it? They told me it is “normal”.

Hi, welcome to TFP! I have a few questions for you. What type of filter do you have? Do you see a vortex in the skimmer when this pump is running full speed? Have you put any silicone pool lube on the pump basket o-ring? Have you checked the pump strainer pot plug to see if it is finger tight? Do you get an air bubble running the pump at lower speeds?

Last edited:
Reactions: johnkim2020
Following…

I just installed the same pump (only 1 cut at suction side pipe to replace the union). When running at low speed (1500rpm), I’ll get a bubble in the strainer. When running at higher speeds (2350rpm+) the bubble gets “sucked” away but there are fine bubbles coming out of the closest spa return. This was also present with the previous single speed pump, so I suspect I have a small suction side leak somewhere, but not enough to lose prime.

I’ll get around to doing the shaving-cream test on the suction side lines, hopefully sometime this week…I think it might be one of the 3 Jandy valves on the suction side of my setup.

I would say its a common problem more than a normal situation, but a small air leak is usually not harmful. You do want to watch it in case you can't track down the source of the air leak. If it gets bigger you will need to fix it. If you trace the air leak to a glue joint in a pipe then you may want to ask the builder to fix it. Most air leaks are solved by using silicone lube on the o-rings and making sure plugs are finger tight, and water level in the pool is high enough.

Hi, welcome to TFP! I have a few questions for you. What type of filter do you have? Do you see a vortex in the skimmer when this pump is running full speed? Have you put any silicone pool lube on the pump basket o-ring? Have you checked the pump strainer pot plug to see if it is finger tight? Do you get an air bubble running the pump at lower speeds?
Hi Zea,

Thank you! This forum has been valuable resource and help.

Answers:
1)filter is Hayward 30” sand filter
2)at max speed, I can’t tell if there is vortex. I see a lot of small air bubbles
3)I haven’t tried putting sillicone pool lube. This is a new install (2months). Should I try this?
4) same as #3. I haven’t tried but should I?
5) air bubbles at low and high speed(it is a variable speed pump). I also filled the pool water so it is not because water level low..

I would say its a common problem more than a normal situation, but a small air leak is usually not harmful. You do want to watch it in case you can't track down the source of the air leak. If it gets bigger you will need to fix it. If you trace the air leak to a glue joint in a pipe then you may want to ask the builder to fix it. Most air leaks are solved by using silicone lube on the o-rings and making sure plugs are finger tight, and water level in the pool is high enough.
Is sillicone lube for pool different or same as normal sillicone based lubricant?

I had similar issue. My issue is because of way PB installs piping. They create a back pressure issue if my bubblers are not open. If they are closed then my return basket will not fill up, as soon as I open the bubblers basket fills immediately.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.