Apr 3, 2021
Northern Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey guys,

After reading a lot on TFP and watching videos, I think I am capable of opening my pool for the first time (about a month away, but getting myself prepared!) The previous home owners closed the pool and so far all I have done is take off the cover off and try to determine what I have to do.

So far this is the basic list I have:
  1. Remove any plugs or gizmos, and insert all drain plugs and filter pieces
  2. Reconnect the plumbing lines; lube o-rings
  3. Fill the pool so the water level is half way up the skimmer
  4. Run pump for 30 minutes before testing (on recirculate?)
  5. Install the ladder
  6. Test the water and add chemicals as necessary
  7. Once pH is confirmed to be fine, connect the heater to the plumbing (ensure power and gas are turned on, drain plug back in, pressure switch reconnected)
At what point in the process should I:
-Vacuum (to waste, I assume?)… I only have a manual vacuum for now
-Backwash the filter (I plan to do the deep clean before opening, and it suggested backwashing before using the filter setting)
-Remove the anti-freeze

Note that I definitely have anti-freeze somewhere in the plumbing, but I don’t know where. I know that it can go in the water, but optimally I would like to get most of it out first. I read somewhere that I can remove it by switching the multi-port to waste?

I was thinking after step 3, I would vacuum to waste first (assuming this also would remove any antifreeze), backwash the filter, refill water, then run the pump for 30 minutes (recirculate or filter?)

Thanks in advance! Haley

1. Run pump for 30 minutes before testing (on recirculate?)

I let my pump run and water circulate for 24 hours before testing.

No reason to run it on RECIRCULATE, Let the filter start cleaning the water.

At what point in the process should I:
-Vacuum (to waste, I assume?)… I only have a manual vacuum for now

Whenever you want.

-Backwash the filter (I plan to do the deep clean before opening, and it suggested backwashing before using the filter setting)

Note the filter pressure when you start up the pool. That is your clean filter pressure. Backwash when the PSI rises 25% from the clean pressure.

-Remove the anti-freeze

Note that I definitely have anti-freeze somewhere in the plumbing, but I don’t know where. I know that it can go in the water, but optimally I would like to get most of it out first. I read somewhere that I can remove it by switching the multi-port to waste?

Once you remove the plugs and start the pump the antifreeze will mix with the pool water. That is fine except that the antifreeze will increase your chlorine demand for a while.

Some folks try and suction or vacuum with a Shopvac the antifreeze out of the lines before they unplug the lines.

I was thinking after step 3, I would vacuum to waste first (assuming this also would remove any antifreeze), backwash the filter, refill water, then run the pump for 30 minutes (recirculate or filter?)

Personally, vacuuming the pool is low on my priorities. I get the pump running, the water flowing, get chorine in the water, adjust the pH, let the filter do its work for a few days, then probably backwash it once the water is clear.

A note for our animal friends - make sure your waste water goes someplace that isn’t accessible to your pets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.