AGP install hose upgrade?

May 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Hi Everyone! AGP getting installed RIGHT THIS SECOND. Installer wants to upgrade from flex hose to pvc on 18' doughboy summerville for $350. Has one "in the truck." This is our first pool and we have no idea if we should do this. Thoughts? Oh-- we live in central Texas, so very hot. Thanks! -

How far is your pump from your pool? If they are right next to each other than I don’t think the flex hoses would be bad. If it’s a longer distance, then it might make sense to go with PVC.

Also, $350 sounds kinda steep to me. Even if the PVC lasts longer than the hoses you could buy a lot of replacement hoses for $350.

These are just a couple thoughts off the top of my head. Someone else might have a different opinion or see a bigger benefit to PVC.

Reactions: heartsamy
Thanks for your timely response, Brett!
We just priced out the parts and weighed that against our desire to mess with hose maintenance and also our desire not to annoy the installers while they are installing the pool during The Covid, and went ahead and said yes. We are weak and also desperate to get in the pool!

Haha, I don’t think PVC is a bad choice. The other thing you might want to think about if it’s not too late is your pump. You don’t list the pump in your signature, but if they are trying to give you a single speed pump you should seriously consider asking if you can upgrade to a variable speed or at least a two speed pump. It will save more in power than it costs to upgrade.

Oh, and one more thing. Don’t pay any attention at all to how the builder tells you to maintain the pool and the chemicals. Instead read the articles here and follow the trouble free pool methods. You will save a lot of money and effort doing it our way.

Quick thought 💭 make sure he puts unions everywhere so u can winterize properly & for maintenance reasons. That should totally be included for $350
Also are valves included in this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.