AGP Exterior Paint Blistering/Bubbling Behind Soil

Jul 29, 2018
MI
Hi all,

I have a Saltwater LX 8000 AGP pool from The Pool Factory, seems to get good reviews even on these site forums. It's a nice pool, get lots of compliments from installers and pool people that come by. It's painted/coated steel wall/beams with stainless wall at skimmer and all resin rails along top, has a 60 year warranty, first 3 years bumper to bumper.

So, my first season with it this year, has been up for six months now. We have about 6" of sloped topsoil built up around it to slope the water down. Peeling back the soil we notice the paint bubbling/blistering behind the soil on the wall and beams creating an environment for rust. This soil of course stays fairly moist from water splashing outside the pool, rain, and weekly rinsing. I don't notice this anywhere else on the wall except behind the soil.

Pics are attached. I called TPF, they have always been great and helpful, they said they can warranty the wall but that would mean rebuilding the pool. Not fun. They said it's way to soon to see this and only after many years, like 10-20, would this type of paint degradation occur. They recommend to scrape, sand, and repaint it with epoxy to slow it down and that some customers even use tar.

Feel like I'm in a pool pickle. Have you ever seen this, what path do you recommend?

IMG_0581.jpgIMG_0582.jpgIMG_0584.jpg

This is not the first time we have seen pool walls rusting when soil is piled up on it. You can't expect the rustproofing put on metal walls to prevent damage from wet soil piled on it.

Your choice if you want to get new walls under warranty or treat the walls with rust neutralizer and paint them. Either way you should clear soil and rocks away from the walls and let then breath and stay dry. Create gravel drainage as needed around the pool to keep water away.

So we decided to fix this rather than replace the wall and rebuild, we will clear away the soil as it retains too much moisture.

We were thinking sand and paint with clear epoxy to remove the rust and protect, and then put rubber mulch around it as rubber mulch won't retain moisture, at least I don't think it will.

Thoughts on this approach?

and then put rubber mulch around it as rubber mulch won't retain moisture
Anything touching the wall is bad. On the sunny side it will delay the drying out after rains or from the morning dew, and on the shady side it will take it even longer.

I see. Really disappointed the builder recommended building landscaping up around it. I'll never match the print on the wall with paint after all that sanding and painting -- it will look horrible.

May just leave it and it just wont last as long :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.