AGP Collapsing wall

Jenny0330

Aug 25, 2020
Illinois
So our Sharline Venture was dead and we decided to put up a new pool ourselves. It was just taking one down and putting another in its place.
All was fine and dandy until the wall looks like it's collapsing. All but 3-4 uprights have the wall pulling away from them. I called the liner people and they said the liner (HII Manufacturing)is designed to stretch a little. It's 52"-54" Athena ez clip liner.
Sand is on bottom because hubby didn't want to deal with the pink stuff. Foam cove is around pool base. Everything is level. The stabilizer bars are popping off due to stress on wall. Hubby has duct taped them in place for now. it's 73 and sunny and there's approx a foot of water in the pool but the wall hasn't popped out.
Anyone got any other advice? This has the pool people stumped.
Obviously one area is horrible.

Attachments

• IMG_1439.jpg
    IMG_1439.jpg
    489.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 1621022761763_image_123927839.JPG
    1621022761763_image_123927839.JPG
    732.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 1621022777588_image_123927839.JPG
    1621022777588_image_123927839.JPG
    787 KB · Views: 87
  • image_123927839.JPG
    image_123927839.JPG
    358.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 1621022769313_image_123927839.JPG
    1621022769313_image_123927839.JPG
    791.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited by a moderator:
When you put the walls up how much sand did you put in the middle before putting the liner in? It is usually 2 to 4 inches of sand along with the pool cove using sand or foam?

It sounds like there isnt enough sand under the liner and the clip in liner doesn't have enough stretch to fill in the hole.

I would add extra sand under the cove area as thats the area of the liner most likely put undue stress on the wall.

Reactions: Joani78
According to the liner instruction from Hii Manufacturing it specifically states no more than 2" of sand under liner. I don't know why but that's they're specific recommendations. I called the liner people first asking what is happening and someone was supposed to get back to me because they aren't sure either. I thought I would ask you guys because you see real world things. But the liner people are installers and they said they've never seen this happen and they've installed this specific liner multiple times with no issues.

so when the wall was put in there was sand 2 inches up the wall and cove 2 inches above that?

If that is the case it looks like that liner is to small.. can you measure from the liner top/j hook down to the seam?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Everything was perfectly lined up until we added water. So the legs aren't too short. When we added the water the walls started pulling in.
there are a couple of other threads with similar problem (sorry I haven't finished reading them but they may have an answer for you -

Yes, we had 2 inches of sand as a base all around. Then on top of that we put the foam cove. So you are correct. Soooo, hubby went out and measured and he states from top of j hook to bottom seam sitting on our cove it's only 52 but according to the liner people it's supposed to stretch to 54" and they've done this themselves multiple times

It is not stretching at all from the looks of it...

Do you have the ability to connect a hose to your hot water heater? That would be about the only way I can think to get it to stretch now...

We've been really bad and I'm afraid at the amount of sediment in our hot water heater. My husband was going to do that this morning but our hose wouldn't fit on the laundry tub.
I read this one and his situation with his wall was as bad as ours soooo. I'm thinking we may risk it. Or do you think we should pump it out. Add a 1/2 inch of pink foam base restick the cove on top of that and then fill?

Is the liner tight to the cove all the way around, like a nice firm triangle, or is it pulled away with air between the liner and cove.

Is the center of the pool dished out or low? Like cowboy Casey said something doesn't have enough stretch for where it's going.

Did you vacuum the liner to the wall or just start filling with water.

Liner is tight to cove all the way around. Center of pool is flat. Before we put liner in husband wetted the sand and tamped it down.
Never heard of vacuuming liner to wall. We just started filling. We haven't cut anything for a return or anything yet. We were told with our fist pool to wait till you fill over 1/2 for the liner to be pulled down then cut the return. Granted our first pool was an overlap so there was plenty of give.

Last edited:
You can use a shopvac to suck the air out from in between the liner and the wall and it helps to stretch and set everything into place.

Everything sounds like it should fit and work on your pool the way you've described it. Not sure why your wall is doing that. Its possible the liner was made wrong or there is something off with the frame installation.

Did the liner get twisted? Are the vertical seams in the liner straight up and down?

Are the walls resin or steel? Resin walls are not as stiff and tend to flex on filling. 73 is a little cool for liner installation, especially if it is cloudy. Was the liner spread out to warm in the sun for an hour prior to installation? I would not try to fill anymore, but I would let the liner slowly stretch to accomodate the water in it

The seams are completely straight and no twisting. The wall is steel. It's a hybrid pool. I live in northern Illinois so was worried about possible cracking of resin over time due to exposure. The top rails we took of the old one were resin and my husband was just cracking them off. They had become brittle after 10 years in the sun and cold.

RN he is pouring hot water along the side of the pool to get the liner to sit correctly. It's 75 and full sun here. We are probably gonna try filling for a bit more before the sun goes down. Won't be able to do anything tomorrow since its going to be 61 and rain. The wall has popped out some but not a ton. But he did say the hot water is making the liner sit more flat against the wall. Good thing I took a shower earlier:)

He took off this week because it was supposed to be warmer and no wind. We battle wind here like crazy. Yesterday was supposed to be only 6mph (was actually 9mph) when usually it's 15 to 20mph wind.

That liner has to streeeeeeetch into place. I know they can make your eyes bulge when those walls start buckling. Make sure you shut the water off tonight!!! Do not fill it after dark or itll pull the walls down for sure. If the liner is sitting up against the walls you're pretty safe that itll stretch into place and you can start filling tomorrow morning. Do not cut anything until the water is right below the first opening.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.