LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2012
Metro Detroit, Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Different kind of problem and I wanted to see if anyone has experience in this and/or any thoughts.
Background info:
We have a Doughboy steel frame AGP, which has a deep end going 4 ft. below grade at the far end. Our sewer line goes from the house through the BACK of the yard into the city sewer line, possibly very near or even under the pool. The sewer line is deteriorating and possibly ready to collapse in the foreseeable future. This was noted by video camera inspection.
We've been given several estimates and each uses a different repair method. One wants to dig up the yard and replace the line, possibly requiring removal of pool. One wants to reroute the line, digging up the yard but avoiding the pool. One wants to push a liner sleeve thru, not digging up the yard. All 3 would require ripping up the landscape brick patio.

DSCF0043.JPG

DSCF0041.JPG
The adirondeck chairs are at the back of the yard near the city sewer line. Our sewer line might be right next to the pool. A gas line runs right down the middle of the open yard area, then takes an angle to right, to the back corner. An electrical line runs from the corner of the garage (approx. 2 ft. back from where you see the red bird in flowerbed) to the right, to the back corner of the yard.

DSCN0130.JPG
The equipment is in the back corner of the yard.
DSCN0333 resz.JPG

So my question is in regards to the "reroute" method.
Since the new line would avoid the pool, the old line would remain in place. Could that old line collapse and cause settling of the pool frame, still forcing us to remove the pool and have to re-level it? :hammer:
Should we consider having the old line filled with something like injected dirt, sand, concrete to prevent the line from collapsing and causing a problem with the pool?

I'll bet you've never been asked this question before. :scratch:

A deteriorating pipe (since I assume it is 4in or larger) is just like a rotten tree root, it will give way over time so yes I would be concerned especially if you have water pressure above pushing down on it. There are companies that inject cement or similar material but not sure of the cost. With the regards to the insert liner, could a heavy wall liner be pushed in place to support it under the pool? You would still reroute the main line. Not sure which is less expensive. You may want to have an engineer who specializes in foundations or retaining walls to review this and make recommendations based on your soil type and length of weak pipe. .

Thanks @HermanTX
One of the methods pushes flexible PVC pipe sections into the sewer line to "support" the compromised sewer line walls. That is the one we are considering. One contractor said the city does not allow it. We talked with the city engineer and it is allowed, but there were issues in the past when the work was incorrectly done. We are still waiting for that estimate.

Big hole, to say the least, no matter which one we choose. Our soil is solid clay and the sewer line is 9 ft. down. The line is 4" coming out of the house and then expands to 6" thru the yard all the way to the city sewer line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.