After 12 lbs shock and 3 gallons liquid chlorine the green swamp is getting worse!

It seems like I have to babysit it all day with the SLAM process to ensure all the algae is killed or will be taking steps backwards. Man it is so hard when you do not have the time and work 7 days a week I can tell you that.
Lots of people have that problem. You can at least hit it before work, after work, and before bed. More frequent is better but you do what you can.

In the beginning it really is a labor of love. So far you really haven't reached SLAM level so the algae is having a chance to bounce back.
You need to do whatever you can, to get the FC up to 16 for your CYA of 40ppm.

One of our experts came up with a schedule where you can do at least four times a day. Something like.
Right when you get up.
Just before you walk out the door to leave for work.
Right when you get home.
Just before bed.

Well I just got my FAS-DPD kit and it arrived damaged. The cap to the DPD powder had came off during shipping and the white powdery stuff was everywhere in the shipping envelope and the case and all was covered like it had been tossed around in flour! After cursing up a storm for about 5 minutes, I was able to try and gather as much up on a big sheet of paper, fold it and dispense what little remained into the DPD tube. I think I have at best 1 or 2 scoops for testing and that's about it. I demanded another shipment be sent but they can only offer a refund because it was Amazon Prime!! So..........is 1 or 2 tests enough to do a pool SLAM or do I order more and wait another 5 days?

So..........is 1 or 2 tests enough to do a pool SLAM or do I order more and wait another 5 days?
Holy smokes! No, you'll need to perform many tests. Well, perhaps consider getting a refund and simply order another FAS-DPD from TFTestkits.com. They'll send it out ASAP and they stand by their products.

For what its worth I went through 13 Gal of 10% bleach in 5 days doing my SLAM and had a much lower CYA than you and a smaller pool. With your CYA and pool size I would not be surprise if you went through 20-25 gal of bleach cleaning up your pool.

I tend to believe that it will probably take 20 or so gallons of bleach to finalize the SLAM process. One question I have that I have been unable to really find an answer is this. With all the initial shock and now lots of bleach and the steady 1 gallon daily to maintain the algae growth until I get the FAS-DPD test to accurately read and maintain the FC levels, I am very concerned about the liner getting bleached out throughout this whole process especially if I have to keep the FC to 16 which may take a few days to kill off the algae. The liner is only 1 year old and I am scared it will bleach out and have a bleach out water line by the time it is complete. I now know the strong chlorine smell being emitted from the pool (enough to knock you out when walking near it) is chlorinates or used up chlorine still present in the pool that is taking its bleaching toll on the liner. Should this be any concern or has this been an issue brought up before?

As long as you are maintaining the FC in relation to your CYA then you are in no danger of any trouble with your liner. There is one of our experts that is running a ongoing test of liner in straight liquid chlorine. After more then a year there has been to noticeable effect on the liner.

My neighbor was able to lend me some DPD powder R-0870 so this weekend I am going to SLAM it via the process below. Have about 20 gallons of bleach on reserve. When doing the FC test, should I be using the 10mL or 25mL amounts of water as there are 2 different ppm figures per drop.

SLAM - Shock Level And

Maintain

SLAMing your pool is the best way to eliminate algae, sanitize your pool and get your water crystal clear.

If you have algae, or the CC level is above 0.5, or the free chlorine (FC) level is zero, you should SLAM

the pool. You cannot do this overnight...it often takes several days to see it completed...no shortcuts. If

you are maintaining proper FC levels there is no need to SLAM (or shock) weekly, or on any other regular

schedule.

Without adding any stabilizer, add enough bleach to increase FC to "10". Confirm you got

that high then retest 10 minutes later. If it stayed at 5 or above, see the SLAM statement

below. If the FC dropped drastically after 10 minutes below an FC of 5, then increase

immediately and retest 10 min later. Continue this process until the FC holds to at least 5-

10 after 10 minutes time. Once it does, see the SLAM statement below.

(SLAM) - After completing that crazy 10-min FC testing drill, your water is ready to

"maintain" a regular SLAM. Now you add stabilizer as required to get the CYA to a target of

"30". Make sure the pH is at about 7.2, then increase FC to your new SLAM/shock level of

"12" and maintain it that way until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria (link below in my sig).

Remember for FC testing ....

For FC testing, simply use the 10ML water sample with one heaping scoop of powder & mix. Count drops

until clear and divide by 2. Example: 20 drops = FC of 10.

Prerequisites:

 You need to have a FAS-DPD chlorine test

 You also need to know your current CYA level, and then look up the corresponding FC

shock level. You can use the The Chlorine/CYA Chart at Pool School to find the correct FC

shock level for your CYA level.

CYA (Stabilizer) Minimum FC Target FC Shock FC

20* 2 3-5 10

30 2 4-6 12

40 3 5-7 16

50 4 6-8 20

60 5 7-9 24

70* 5 8-10 28

80* 6 9-11 31

90* 7 10-12 35

100* 8 11-13 39

 It is best to use bleach or liquid chlorine when SLAMing. You will want to have enough on

hand to raise the FC level to shock level at least a couple of times. It is especially important

to avoid using dichlor when SLAMing, as it will raise CYA far too quickly.

 Make sure the pool is free of leaves and other debris (at least as much as possible).

 Make sure your filter is working properly and you understand how to clean it out should it

become necessary.

 Check and adjust the PH to between 7.2 and 7.5. The PH test isn't reliable during SLAMing

so make sure to take care of this before you start.

 Run the pump 24/7 until you are done SLAMing

SLAM:

 Test the FC level and add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (see here for

correct shock level)

Test and adjust chlorine levels as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour,

and not less than twice a day. Chlorine additions should be frequent, especially at the

beginning. Algae and other organic debris will consume chlorine very rapidly at first. As

things progress, you will lose less chlorine each cycle and can add chlorine less frequently.

 Brush and/or vacuum the entire pool once a day

 Backwash or clean the filter as needed

 Vacuum up debris as needed

You are done when:

 CC is 0.5 or lower;

 You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);

 And the water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to

normal levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Guys, please let me know how I'm doing as I started the SLAM process this morning:

Readings before beginning @ 0830AM: FC 1, PH 7.2, CYA 40. I then evenly distributed 5 gallons of 8.25% bleach and lots of brushing, mixing skimming for a half hour.
Reading @ 0900AM: FC 26 (Yeah I know went overboard with the bleach initially and thought each gallon would raise FC by 3 not by 5). Lots of more brushing, mixing skimming for a half hour.
Reading @ 1130AM: FC 16.5. I then evenly distributed another 1 gallon because a 10 FC loss over an hour and half loss seems significant. Lots of more brushing, mixing, skimming for a half hour.

And this is where I stand right now. Will take another FC reading @ 1300. Let me know if I missed something and that I am on track so far and thanks for all the help thus far!

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention that I have had my robot hard at work on the bottom since starting

Keep your pump on at all times during this process, and have the filter on "Filter" and not "recirculate" so that your filter can capture dead algae. Monitor the pressure and backwash when it rises 20-25%.

You CAN do this! It didn't get green overnight (just green-er) so it won't clear overnight either. But the more often you can test and dose with bleach the faster it will go.

Maddie :flower:

SLAM Process Update:

FC @ 1300 = 22. Lots of more brushing, mixing, skimming for a half hour.
Started raining @ 1400 making it a little difficult but not going to deter me!
FC @ 1600 = 17. I then evenly distributed another 1 gallon of bleach. Lots of more brushing, mixing, skimming for a half hour.

Been having to backwash since this process every few hours as it reaches 20%. Afler sand filter is cleaned it likes to run at 10% pressure.

Crystal, I think you made me blush!
:colors:

Hey CGCSS1- Start taking pictures down at the stairs daily. This way you'll be able to see the daily progress and compare day to day changes easier against the white stairs.

You can post them here if you like and we can ooh and ahh when we see change.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.