Aeration timing when lowering TA

Copernicu

Bronze Supporter
Jul 22, 2020
Phoenix, Arizona
Hi. As I understand it, the process of lowering TA involves lowering pH with chemicals and raising pH through aeration. I use 14.5% muriatic acid to lower pH, and I turn my strongest jet so it points upward to aerate.

My question is this: when should I turn the jet up? When I add in the acid or later? If later, how much later?

Thank you.

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Texas, San Antonio/Marion, South-Central Area
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
First get the acid in the water and make sure it's mixed for a couple minutes. Then you can start the aeration. For best success, let the pH rise to 8.0 then knock it down to 7.0. That should have a good impact on TA.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
C,

When I reduce my TA it takes me about two full days.. I start my aeration after the first dose of acid and I don't shut if off until I am done..

Keep in mind that lowering TA is an on going process.. I add acid about every three or four hours, over and over until the TA is a little lower than I want.. I usually start in the morning and do it all day the first day until bedtime.. and then I pick it up the next day and do it again all day.

For reference my aeration is a waterfall, so I suspect that provides more aeration than a pool return.

At first the TA will barely move down.. but over time the amount of TA decrease will increase with each acid dose..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Nikilyn

Bronze Supporter
Sep 3, 2018
Gilbert, AZ
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
C,

When I reduce my TA it takes me about two full days.. I start my aeration after the first dose of acid and I don't shut if off until I am done..

Keep in mind that lowering TA is an on going process.. I add acid about every three or four hours, over and over until the TA is a little lower than I want.. I usually start in the morning and do it all day the first day until bedtime.. and then I pick it up the next day and do it again all day.

For reference my aeration is a waterfall, so I suspect that provides more aeration than a pool return.

At first the TA will barely move down.. but over time the amount of TA decrease will increase with each acid dose..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Is a waterfall or an actual aerator sprinkler better? We have both.

Wntrequinx

May 20, 2021
Hartford, CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Can you actually get the pH up past 7.5 with aeration? I thought that or 7.6 was the max it would go based on the normal atmospheric co2 ratios, and so it would take days to get from 7.4 to 7.6...

7.0 to 7.2 takes me an hour or two, 7.2 to 7.4 took me more than 6...

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.