Advice please on if 2-speed pump makes sense ?

Jan 7, 2012
Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
We are in the final stages of changing our 16 x 32 vinyl IG pool into a sport/play pool. Our current pump is a ¾ HP Hayward Superpump which is 11 years old, noisy, but working! We typically run it 24/7 during pool season (Memorial to Labor day). We have one skimmer 20 feet away from pump and our piping is all 1 ½”. We have a 24” sand filter and are going to add a salt gen to our set-up. My question is what should we do as far as pump size/type ? Does it make sense to look at a 2-speed pump or should we stay with a single speed? Is the 3/4HP single speed too much pump and if so any drawbacks to continuing to use it ? We have 230V at the pool pad so does anyone know anyone who make a ½ or ¾ HP two-speed that is 230V or would we have to go 115V if we go two speed and if so does that make sense ??. Thanks for helping us out - if you can’t tell we’re newbies !

We typically run it 24/7 during pool season (Memorial to Labor day).
Why? Have you tried to reduce the run time? The answer to this can influence the pump choice.

A two speed can save on energy but your biggest change would come from simply reducing run time.

The SuperFlo 1 HP is a two speed uprated pump that will run on 230v and is fairly efficient and cost effective. The 3/4 HP two speed. The 3/4 HP is probably big enough for your setup but the 1 HP might be easier to install.

Or you could just replace the motor on your current pump with a two speed.

I just put in a 1HP Pentair Superflo 2-speed that is 230V. Sounds like this would work well for you too. There is also a 3/4HP Superflo, but it is 120V, so it could require new wiring depending on how electricity to you pad is run.

You could run the 1HP on low speed 24/7 and save a lot of electricity compared to a 3/4HP single speed 24/7 ... although you likely do not need to run that long.

Mark and Jason - Thanks you for your replies.

Mark - We have never had a pool before so we run the pump 24/7 because that is how the previous owners of the house told us to do it! There is currently no timer, but that is something we could add. How many hours/day should a pump typically run ?

As far as a going to a 1 HP 2-speed, I had read somewhere that you should not have a pump larger than 3/4HP if your pipe size from skimmer is 1 1/2". Is this true ?

Would a 2-speed 1 HP 230V be more efficient to operate than the 2-speed 3/4HP 120V ?

Thanks again for your help.

You just cut your run time back until you do not think the pool looks clean enough to you.

Not true ... I used to have a 2HP pump on a 1.5" skimmer line.

The 3/4 HP pump will use less power (watts) than the 1HP, but it is also significantly lower flow rates (still may be ok for you ... I have solar so needed the 1HP)

But consider your wiring, according to Pentair's website:
The 3/4HP 120V pump will pull 14.6amps on high speed. **
The 1HP 240V pump will pull 6amps on high speed. **

I could not use a 120V pump because of my long wire run that is only 12AWG ... I would have had a significant voltage drop running at 15amps.

** These numbers I do not think are correct because the 3/4HP pump should not have over double the amps of the 1HP pump because it should use less power. But, it gives you the idea.

Pump run time varies widely from pool to pool, anywhere from an hour to 24 hours a day depending on the relative size of the pool and pump. Given your pump size and pool size I would guess that 8 to 12 hours on low would be fine, half that much on high. Your actual ideal run time might be shorter or longer, you will need to experiment to find out.

Smaller pumps are always more efficient. So a 3/4 HP pump is going to be more efficient than a 1 HP pump, and low speed is more efficient than high speed. 240 volts has some advantages, but they are tiny compared to the difference from using a smaller pump.

The max pump size based on the pipe size rule is just a suggestion, it is often ignored. The only effect of using a larger pump with smaller pipes is that such systems tends to be really inefficient, but apart from wasting electricity they are fine.

A lot of great information . Thank you all very much. I think it may make sense for me to stick with my current 3/4 HP single speed and just add a timer to pick up some efficiency.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.