Advice on Saltwater Generators

tabitha_599

Jun 18, 2019
Tennessee
Hi. This is my first post here :) I am needing some advice. We've known since the beginning of our planning that we wanted a salt water system for our pool. But the budget is getting tight and we haven't even started our dig yet. That's next week and I am holding my breath hoping they don't hit rock. We are in Tennessee so likely to happen. Anyway, our builder charges $2800 to install a Hayward Salt System. I called our local pool store and they charge $1800 to install the Hayward Aqua Rite with a T15 Cell or $1500 for a Jandy True Clear. My husband is a plumber and could do it himself but my understanding is that if something should fail they would not warranty it because a dealer didn't install it. Is that correct? If so we would have to have the store do it, which I'm okay with since it still saves me $1k+. The pool store said they recommend the Jandy over the Hayward due to customer service and longevity of the equipment. Thoughts on that would be appreciated as well. Pool is fiberglass, approx 20k gallons. Thanks!

Welcome to TFP.

Have plumber hubby install the SWG after the build. Have him tell the guy doing the equipment pad to leave a straight PVC run to place the SWG.

As a licensed plumber your husband should qualify as a professional install for warranty purposes. Even if you don’t you save enough to fix anything that fails and save money. Checkout prices at ...

Tell us more what equipment you are installing? You getting any automation? You usually want the SWG from the same vendor as the automation for best control.

Make sure you pick a SWG cell that is rated at least 2x your pool's volume gallons. This helps you use the cell less yet get the most chlorine. SWG cells have a finite lifespan so we always want to plan ahead to save wear and tear.

When you install it- add the salt but do NOT turn the device on for at least a day to allow all the salt to dissolve and mix in. Not doing so is harmful to the cell if a big bolus of salt goes thru it. Have the pool already at your goal FC level using liquid chlorine then make the SWG *maintain* that level.

Congrats on the new pool build!! Keep us posted with lots of pics!

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: tabitha_599
You will then need to connect the SWG power through a timer so the SWG is powered only when the pump is running.

You don’t have any automation. Which is fine. You can use any SWG.

The Hayward T-15 has 30% more chlorine generating capacity then the Jandy Truclear. I think the Hayward is superior to the Jandy. The Pentair Intellichlor IC40 or IC60 would also work for you.

You will then need to connect the SWG power through a timer so the SWG is powered only when the pump is running.

You don’t have any automation. Which is fine. You can use any SWG.

The Hayward T-15 has 30% more chlorine generating capacity then the Jandy Truclear. I think the Hayward is superior to the Jandy. The Pentair Intellichlor IC40 or IC60 would also work for you.

The VSP is on a timer. So the SWG has to be on it's own timer as well?

As for SWG, you have me looking at the Circupool SJ-55 now. It was on that link you posted above. I know nothing about any of this so I appreciate your input.

The VSP is on a timer. So the SWG has to be on it's own timer as well?

As for SWG, you have me looking at the Circupool SJ-55 now. It was on that link you posted above. I know nothing about any of this so I appreciate your input.

The VSP should not be on an external timer. It should have an internal timer on its control panel.

I don’t like the Circupool SJ models. They did a few things to lower the cost and quality. I like the RJ series but they cost as much as the T-15.

VSPs normally have their own timers, and if you set it for example to run from 10:00 to 18:00, you should have the SWG on a separate timer and only set to run, say, 11:00 to 17:00, or what ever time you want. The point is that if the pump malfunctions for some reason you won't have the SWG turning on at that time.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: tabitha_599
The vs Pump and swg should both be wired to an international timer. That way your sure nothing wrong can happen. The vs pump will keep all your inputs when the timer kills the power to it.

I think you mean INTERMATIC timer.

You can go either way on wiring a VS pump. Continuous power or through a timer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Hayward and Circupool SWG's should come with the full warranty with a self install, a Jandy SWG warranty will be void with a self install. If you are a licensed plumber then check with Jandy to see if they will accept that as a professional install, they should.

The VS pump does create a bit of a problem with simplicity of hooking both the pump and SWG to a single timer. The VS pump most likely needs constant power so there are several options on powering the SWG so it can never be on while the pump is not running. One is connecting the SWG to a timer and operate the SWG during the on times for the pump, the issue here is if the timer gets out of sync with the pump. There is also a current sensing relay that the SWG can be powered from that will not allow the pump and SWG to get out of sync. This is not as easy as a timer install but they will always be synced.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.