Clermont, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Solaxx (Saltron) Reliant / Purechlor R4
I'm pretty sure that my 3/4 HP Pentair SuperFlo single speed pump (model 340037) that runs my filter circuit died early this a.m...makes a high pitched noise, moves barely any water, then shuts off after a minute or so. I was fortunate that I also had a second Pentair SuperFlo pump (model 355022S) for the waterfall and manual pool drain I was able to change it out with. It's a 1 HP pump and a bit strong for the pool but it will keep the filtration and salt cell going while I sort things out.

To my question, from what I can tell the Pentair 340037 SuperFlo pump is no longer being made and the ones I'm seeing on Amazon and Ebay are quite expensive. Is there a replacement model for this pump that Pentair is making for it that would essentially be a 1-to-1 changeout? I went through the Pentair website and didn't find it very helpful. My thinking is that staying with Pentair will make the swap fairly painless, but I'd love to hear what advice the pros here can lend.

I've attached a few pics of the equipment, and both pumps do appear to be wired for 230V. As a relatively new pool owner, I'm still learning so let me know if I left any critical info out.

And thank you for all the great information here. I haven't posted much as I don't really know enough yet to add anything but I've done a lot of reading and love the Pool School articles. It really helped me nail down the water chemistry and correct some of the bad advice I was getting from the pool stores.

Attachments

• Pool Equipment.jpg
    Pool Equipment.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 3-4 HP Pump.jpg
    3-4 HP Pump.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 1 HP Pump 3.jpg
    1 HP Pump 3.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Electrical Disconnect.jpg
    Electrical Disconnect.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Disconnect Box.jpg
    Disconnect Box.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Voltage Switch.jpg
    Voltage Switch.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 9
Did you know that the feds outlawed all single speed pool pumps over a certain size now? So you most likely need a dual speed or variable speed pump. I can't imagine a 1 hp pump being too much though unless your filter is undersized?

Maddie :flower:

Compare the SuperFlo VS dimensional drawings below to your pump. It should be a direct replacement.

The SuperFlo VS/VST is a great pump for the price. Unions are included for 1.5" and 2" installations. It works on 115 and 230 volt systems.

The SuperFlo VST (Mdl 342002) is the Trade Grade version and offers a better warranty if purchased from a brick and mortar business or pro installer. It also provides for RS-485 connectivity, important if you plan on adding Pentair automation.

The VS, (Mdl EC-342001) is a good choice if you plan to install the pump yourself. It adds a one-year parts warranty to the standard 60-day warranty when purchased from an authorized E-Commerce online retailer. Shipping is generally free.

My in-laws had one installed a few months ago. It's quiet and way more efficient than the 1.5 hp pump it replaced.

Dim.JPG

Thank you. I appreciate the responses and feedback.

No, I was not aware about SS pumps being banned by the DOE, but it doesn't surprise me and explains some of the premium price tags I've been seeing for those that are available. I wasn't expecting an exact replacement, so I'll check into a Pentair SuperFlo VS/VST. Good to know on the warranty difference between a local install and DIY. I don't mind the labor and love to tinker, but I do have a guy here local that can do the work at a reasonable cost. I'll definitely weigh the costs out before deciding which way to go.

The 1 HP pump probably isn't too large for the pool, but I will have to adjust the jet that's angled to break the water surface. With the old pump, I had to add at least 1 qt of acid per week to maintain pH levels. Now it's really stirring the surface water up. Sounds soothing actually but it makes me want to see if I can catch any brook trout.

A pentair whisperflo is very close to the superflo. It sits just a little bit higher and takes a 2inch inlet and outlet. You can change the motor instead of the whole pump. If your really into warranty hayward pumps timers, lights etc has a 3 year warranty if instealled by a pro.

A 3/4hp motor should be around 150 bucks. 1hp the same, You can still get them at the online wholesalers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.