Advice on new pool pump purchase

May 14, 2012
I have to replace my current pool pump, a Hayward 3400VSP, as the drive has went out again (2nd time) and I have already replaced 4 motors. The unit is only 8 years old. Is this normal? What is the average life expectancy on a pool pump?

I am looking for recommendations on a new pump to buy. I'm noty sure if I want to buy another Hayward, since I had so much trouble out of this pump. Any recommendations on a good variable speed pump that last longer?

In Ground, 6,900 Gallon Gunite pool with tile trim, Haywayd EcoStar SP34000VSP Variable Speed, Aquarite 25k SWCG, North Florida. Thanks!

First thing I would recommend is to put one of these on your main breaker coming into your house Amazon.com: EATON CHSPT2ULTRA Ultimate Surge Protection 3rd Edition, 2.38" Length, 5.25" Width 7.5" Height: Industrial & Scientific And one of these on your new pump Amazon.com: Intermatic PS3000 Pool and Spa Surge Protective Device: Home Improvement These VSP pumps are VERY sensitive to stray and over voltage surges... I already have the whole house one and will buy the pump one when I get my VSP :)

As far as pumps most of us recommend Pentair as the longer lasting and better pumps... Yes they are more expensive but you get what you pay for..

There is another option if the pump is still good but the motor is not, get a V green motor to replace the bad Hayward...

AO smith makes these motors and are considered a great company

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.