Advice needed - re-filling IG pool from well or other?

Jul 10, 2013
Michigan
I need to completely refill my 25,000 - 35,000 Gal IG pool. Unbeknownst to me, the rubber plug, installed by the previous owner, in place of the hydrostatic valve, popped out early last winter and the pool essentially drained. In past years, I have used well water via outside spigot (not softened, I believe) for partial fill in spring time.

There is a fair amount of rust staining at the home's outside spigot (minor faucet leaks). So I am leery about introducing metals unnecessarily. I have perused a fair number of posts on the subject. And like others I am confused as to where to start and how to proceed.

We purchased a home water softener when we moved in (late 2012) we added an iron filter last year due to continued sulfur odors and rust staining in the home (sinks/drains, washing machine, dishwasher)

I am trying to decide my best strategy for re-fill.

Well water (not softened or iron filtered)
Softened & Iron filtered
township provided water via nearby fire hydrant

I want to test the water samples first to help make the choice. I want to know what are the most critical fill water values to focus on.

Previously, I have not had luck in detecting Iron in the well water using Taylor K-1716. Nor has iron been detected by pool store test (fwiw). I have ordered new reagents for my Taylor kits (K-1000, K-1716 & K-1730)

Historically my pool water numbers are in the following ranges if I am keeping up on everything.

my target my typical results
pH 7.5 7.8
Cl free 3-5 2.5
TA 80 85
CH <400 225
CYA 40 25
Cu free - -
Fe total - -

I usually battle with some persistent black algae. Especially with aged-marcite surface irregularities. There are quite a number of dimples, divets and chips which are quite difficult to completely remove the algae from once it has taken hold.

Maybe I am overthinking the whole thing. I don't typically see evidence of rust staining in the pool nor do I have problems with water clarity that persist for very long.

If your pool is empty this would be a good time to tackle the black algae. This stuff is a lot tougher than your normal algae. You need to scrub at it with an algaecide to remove the protective outer coating. When the pool is full of water this can be problematic because:

a) it's hard to actually scrub due to the drag the water creates.
b) places like the deepend can be hard to reach
c) the water dilutes the algacide.

I had a case of black algae a few years ago. It took a lot of effort to remove. Couldn't empty the pool because I have the vinyl liner type and would have collapsed.

My main concern with filling from your well (treated or not) would be that you could dry out the well by the time the pool is filled. Personally, if I was doing this from scratch, I would order a tanker of water.

If you are going to use your well I would use the untreated side and just balance the pool once done. I would save some wear and tear on the softener and iron filter.

I don't know about the fire hydrant because I don't know the ultimate source of water. Is it coming from a well too and have the same hardness/iron/sulfur issues? Is it even legal to use?

My $0.02 CDN

Is it possible to test the water from the fire hydrant prior to committing to using it? If the testing comes out good there, I'd use that source. Chances are - even if you well water is fine for pool use - that it will take a long time to fill the pool and you chance running the well dry.

I'm guessing the township puts a meter on the hydrant prior to your using it or has another way to charge you for the water used from the hydrant while filling your pool.

Thanks!

I will most definitely spend some time on the surface spots.

I did not consider the well's capacity. I was mostly concerned with pump failure if filling non-stop. I will have to investigate this further

The Township does provide the fill service. Cheaper than tanker service I could find locally. I will be asking the twp. for water analysis

:)

Thanks!

I will most definitely spend some time on the surface spots.

I did not consider the well's capacity. I was mostly concerned with pump failure if filling non-stop. I will have to investigate this further

The Township does provide the fill service. Cheaper than tanker service I could find locally. I will be asking the twp. for water analysis

:)

I would be more concerned with water level of well than pump failure. If you KNOW your well water is ok (not high metals or ch) then you could use that but you risk running a well dry.

Every individual circumstance is different. I'd fill my pool in a heartbeat with my well water as I know the metals aren't too high and the CH is pretty much nonexistent. have filled my 28-29,000 gallon pool at least three times with our well. "Somebody" kept leaving the filter on waste or backwash. (Hint--it wasn't me)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.