Advice for "closing" a pool in southern California.

peterl1365

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
Murrieta, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Okay, first time pool owner here, and the water's gotten too cold, so it's time to stop swimming.

I'm about an hour north of San Diego. I know that it's not necessary to close the pool in the classic sense, but what's the best strategy for my situation? I'd really hate to fuss over pool maintenance for the next 8 months. And I really don't want to spend a lot of money on a pool that we aren't actively using.

Can I reduce the filtration to a bare minimum? Do I have to worry about dirt collecting on the bottom of the pool? How important is pH and chlorine control when the water is 50-60 degrees?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Algae growth stops (or slows down considerably) when water temps are below 50. With a 50-60 range, you will need to add chlorine, and hence circulate your pool. pH and Cl are still important, but since you have SWG your job will be easier. I would toss in the navigator occasionally to pick up any dirt. The more junk you let accumulate, the more work you will have in the spring.
I don't think there is an "in-between"... you either leave it open (since it is not being used, maintenance is reduced, but you still have to test and adjust your water) or close it.
Others may chime in with a better answer!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.