Advice for Building a Liquid Chlorine System for a 89,000 gallon / 336900 liter Pool

InfoKid

In The Industry
Nov 27, 2017
Texas
The goal is to find a Liquid Chlorine system I can build (DIY), for my pool, but I need your advice since I have never done this before.

My Setup
Pool: 89,000 gallon / 336900 liter
Pump: IntelliFlo VS+SVRS
Dual: HCF236 - Commercial Fiberglass Sand Filter, 36 in
After filter PSI: 100-125

• run the pump 24/7 - 2900-3100rpm's (lower in winter)
  • have (2) 2inch return lines leaving the pump room I can use
  • I have read a lot on the forums and read specs on Stenner chemical pumps
  • would like to use 15 GAL Chlorine drum @ 12.5% (can be delivered easily)
  • summer temp @ 87 f / 31 c
  • outdoor pool, south coast area, not much debris, seagulls & pelicans love to swim/drink from it
Can I use a 85MPHP17 Stenner or do you suggest something else? Will it work if my GPH flow rate is 100-125?
How does the timer part work, since it doesn't come with a timer built in (don't want it built in), what ideas do you have for using a lamp timer that works with iPhone app so I can adjust as needed?

Thank you for any advice :giggle:
corpus-christi-clean-swimming-pools.jpg.jpeg

Last edited:
The key is pressure not flow rate. If your pressure is close to 25 get a pump with 100 psi.

How much clorine you use a day? Get a pump rated for 3-4 times that amount and use a smart outlet on a timer to turn it on and off.

My stenner is huge I only run it 30 mins a day.

The key is pressure not flow rate. If your pressure is close to 25 get a pump with 100 psi.

How much clorine you use a day? Get a pump rated for 3-4 times that amount and use a smart outlet on a timer to turn it on and off.

My stenner is huge I only run it 30 mins a day.

Good info,

The most per day required is 1 gallon / 3.79 liters so a 3 gal per day min pump is what you are saying. Any other thoughts?

Kid,

Where do you intend to get your chlorine?? You are going to be using a lot of chlorine for that size pool. Somewhat of a logistical pain.

Most pools in Texas use about 3 to 4 ppm of FC per day in the summer... To increase your FC by about 3 ppm will take about 3 gallons of chlorine per day.

Have you thought about going with a commercial saltwater system, or maybe just two residential cells???

Thanks,

Jim R.

If 1 ppm equals 1 gallon definitely go bigger I didn't think of it in ppm terms.

At least 10 gpd then, if I remember correctly mine is a 85 gpd. You can always turn it down with a timer but you can't turn it up. You can also change the tubes for different outputs so it's not a big deal if you have the wrong size.

I just noticed your psi is 100-125, you will need to measure the psi where the stenner will be installed which will have to be close to the pool as possible. I don't think they have one over 100 psi

Just to add. Using that much bleach you'll probably want to look at a tank larger than 15 gallons. At 3gpd usage you'll be filling a 15 gallon tank every 5 days or sooner.

For a pool that size I'd look into a good bit larger tank and see if I couldn't find a commercial bleach dealer to deliver bleach to you. A 55 gallon tank would last you about 15 to 20 days. You could check with some local cleaners or pressure washing places to see who supplies them with bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.